Ryanair Strikes – Salaries for flight deck and cabin crew

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I was surprised to read that in a Ryanair response to the strikes on 25th and 26th July they quoted flight deck crew as receiving between EUR 150,000 -200,000 salaries. Cabin Crew figures given were EUR35,000. If those figures are true what are they striking about. Can anyone throw some light on the voracity of those figures?

capetonianm
    Participant

Working conditions. The salaries are in the same variances as many other airlines. There was an interesting programme about this on RTE this morning, they spoke to flight deck crew, and to Kenny Jacobs.

philsquares
    Participant

[quote quote=877505]I was surprised to read that in a Ryanair response to the strikes on 25th and 26th July they quoted flight deck crew as receiving between EUR 150,000 -200,000 salaries. Cabin Crew figures given were EUR35,000. If those figures are true what are they striking about. Can anyone throw some light on the voracity of those figures?[/quote]

First of all, I can’t speak of the cabin crew but for cockpit crew the figures might be the highest paid Captains. If you are a first officer, just starting out, I can assure you, the pay is slightly more than 10% of what is being quoted. In addition, all pilots have to pay for uniforms, parking, pay for their own training. In addition, the use of “agency workers” to avoid the payment of local social security and income taxes by the Company is prevalent. In the UK, Germany and a few other countries the issue is under criminal investigation. Finally, if you are truly “self-employed” you should have control of your schedule and holidays. Ryanair has complete control of those which makes the “self-employed” status very difficult to prove.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

To add to Phil Squares’s post, I’m not sure how accurate the link below is, but it looks plausible.

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Ryanair

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know of cases in the UK, where people on self employed contracts, but restricted to work with one service provider, have been awarded employed status in some areas. I would prefer not to post the case law and I am not a solicitor.

Who pays the pilots professional liability insurance or similar. Are the pilots or Ryan responsible for these payments… ?

christopheL
    Participant

Should £35000 be the average salary of a FR CC I’m am pretty sure that many BA CC would move from BA to FR.

philsquares
    Participant

[quote quote=877700]I know of cases in the UK, where people on self employed contracts, but restricted to work with one service provider, have been awarded employed status in some areas. I would prefer not to post the case law and I am not a solicitor.

Who pays the pilots professional liability insurance or similar. Are the pilots or Ryan responsible for these payments… ?[/quote]

In the case of FR contract pilots, they can only work for FR, FR has all operational control of the pilot, they get no sick pay and no holiday pay. Plus they must take off time with company approval. There is a case making its way through the UK courts and I would be willing to say with the latest Pimlico Plumbing case, FR might find themselves in a very difficult position.

As far as liability insurance, that is a requirement for the airline which indemnifies the pilots.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=877760]There is a case making its way through the UK courts[/quote]

That’s a key case and it will be interesting to see what happens, since the UK HMRC currently likes to tax everyone as if they are employed, but that does not necessarily give benefits, which is patently unfair IMO.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=877760]In the case of FR contract pilots, they can only work for FR, FR has all operational control of the pilot, they get no sick pay and no holiday pay. Plus they must take off time with company approval.[/quote]

In the situation I am aware of a contractor (for clarity self employed) had his service contract terminated after 14 years and he successfully sued for a redundancy payment and holiday pay. Seems each profession is having to sue as appose to one test case for contractors who have a service contract restrictive to one company. Of course, this was within the jurisdiction of English law.

The tide is turning… I recently joined a new firm on a self employed basis and one of my joining conditions was that I wished to have private medical insurance. At first I was told no, as I was self employed and the cover was for employees only. However, when the insurer was advised I had a service contract restricting me to my new company only, the insurer confirmed they would treat me as an employee.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=877743]Should £35000 be the average salary of a FR CC I’m am pretty sure that many BA CC would move from BA to FR.[/quote]

35000 Euros was quoted, not pounds.

CathayLoyalist2, you said “Cabin Crew figures …. Can anyone throw some light on the voracity of those figures?” – You can read about Ryanair cabin crew salaries here:
    http://become-cabincrew.com/airlines/ryanair.html

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

And now O´Leary is refusing to pay compensation as the union is “behaving unreasonably” and he claims that EU261 allows him to do that so saving FR about EUR250 million ( 100,000 passengers x EUR 250).!!

capetonianm
    Participant

If Ryanair staff go on strike that is not beyond the control or anticipation of Ryanair, and is therefore not an exceptional, unavoidable, or unforeseen circumstance.

Michael O’Leary vs. CAA and EU. It will be interesting to see what happens. Much as I dislike Ryanair’s attitude, my money is on them winning.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Ryanair’s German pilots vote for industrial action
    Union gives airline until next Monday to submit ‘workable proposal’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls