Roll up, roll up, pay more for less at BA!

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

You could argue that IAG and BA in particular are flying into a storm of their making.
    Brexit is undoubtedly a factor, yet I’d opine that companies across the corporate spectrum have found a ready made excuse to justify poorer than expected results.
    In BA’s case,all of the points made previous are factors. Yet I suspect that BA and its risk averse culture will opt to focus on the ready made,out of their control excuse, to justify cutting back service levels even more. Speeding up the introduction of even more imaginative ancillary charges for us to pay for things that we already currently enjoy as part of the ticket price.
    And thus ignoring,what I believe is the greatest danger to their long term corporate stability and financial success. And that’s a continual churn of loyal customers who are deciding that the continual stressing of the mediocrity tipping point has arrived and have jumped or are about to jump ship. Or, in BA’s case ….plane!

Roa1
    Participant

I have recently flown on a new BA 787-9 from LHR/KUL in economy class. I fly once or twice a month either in J or Y class.
    On the BA flight out to KUL, I slept for some 5 hours and the seating was really comfortable, the food great and I really
    enjoyed the flight. When I checked on the seat guru, the seating arrangements on both BAs 787-8 and 787-9, and checking that
    with other airlines seating configurations on similar planes, I discovered that BAs fleet has far FEWER seats than her competitors.
    I fail to understand all the adverse comments against British Airways.
    On my way back, I flew J class on SIN/LHR on A380, and once again enjoyed the comfort, despite flying in a different class of travel. If push comes to shove, I don’t mind flying long haul Y class on their 787-9s.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=716736]I have recently flown on a new BA 787-9 from LHR/KUL in economy class. I fly once or twice a month either in J or Y class.
    On the BA flight out to KUL, I slept for some 5 hours and the seating was really comfortable, the food great and I really
    enjoyed the flight. When I checked on the seat guru, the seating arrangements on both BAs 787-8 and 787-9, and checking that
    with other airlines seating configurations on similar planes, I discovered that BAs fleet has far FEWER seats than her competitors.
    I fail to understand all the adverse comments against British Airways.
    On my way back, I flew J class on SIN/LHR on A380, and once again enjoyed the comfort, despite flying in a different class of travel. If push comes to shove, I don’t mind flying long haul Y class on their 787-9s.

[/quote]

Which airlines did you compare to? Every airline has a different configuration and AFAIK there are very few in 4 class configuration like BA. If you include F seats on board the numbers go down appreciably.

The number if people on the plane and the size of your seat don’t necessarily relate to each other. I know there are people who go out of their way to avoid the 787 due to the tight seating in economy.

Tramor01
    Participant

I flew back from Kuala Lumpur on the 787 a couple of weeks ago – It’s a sardine can!
    7 abreast in Club…. and to compound things I had the worst meal on a flight since taking a BA flight from Dallas in April.
    It’s 4 abreast in 1st class, crazy – QR have the same configuration in business.

MrMichael
    Participant

Going by the reviews I would not choose to travel in Y on anyone’s 787, including BA’s.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Per Tramor01’s point, Here is the QR 787 business cabin.

I’ll be in 5A the week after next.

787 J Class QR

Tramor01
    Participant

FDOS_UK I flew the 787 from CPH to Doha in April – Chalk and cheese comes to mind, Qatar are light years ahead of BA

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=716923]I flew back from Kuala Lumpur on the 787 a couple of weeks ago – It’s a sardine can!
    7 abreast in Club…. and to compound things I had the worst meal on a flight since taking a BA flight from Dallas in April.
    It’s 4 abreast in 1st class, crazy – QR have the same configuration in business.

[/quote]

In fairness QR is also four abreast in First Class which is pretty standard for all airlines that operate a ‘non private suite’ style First. I won’t argue the point that the QR seats are more luxurious and catering etc far more superior etc.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=717140]

I flew back from Kuala Lumpur on the 787 a couple of weeks ago – It’s a sardine can!

In fairness QR is also four abreast in First Class which is pretty standard for all airlines that operate a ‘non private suite’ style First. I won’t argue the point that the QR seats are more luxurious and catering etc far more superior etc.

[/quote]

I don’t think QR has a first class cabin on the 787, does it? (unless they are hopping around the Gulf, when they pretend business class is first class – I’m fliying ‘F’ – actually ‘A’ on an A320 next week – yeah right)

Didn’t QR cut out F from a lot of their fleet? IIRC (and I don’t fly them much) it’s only the A330/340 that has it and you’re right, it’s four across, but the cabin is wider, so I’d say Tramor01’s comment is a fair one.

rferguson
    Participant

There’s not a lot in it actually FDOS. The cabin width of the 787 is 18.01ft. The upper deck of a QR A380 where they have their F Class is 19.02ft. F in the nose of a BA 747 is far more cramped than a 787. IMHO although not a great admirer of BA’s F product I think the actual cabin on the 787 is the best BA has and if it had matching catering/ground services would actually be a product worthy of comparison with QF/AF etc. The aisles of the 787 in First is very narrow – but there are only two rows so it is unlikely this will impact too much on moving to and fro.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

FDOS – QR is removing first class from its entire fleet with the exception of the A380.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

So the like for like comparison by Tramor01 on the 787 (1-2-1 for BA F and 1-2-1 for QR J) is valid in principle (although the J seats may be narrower, I’d imagine).

I did forget that QR has the A380, which is pretty daft as I’ve flown on it 🙂 But 1 foot across the cabin is quite a difference – perhaps more noticeable in Y, though.

From a practical perspective (e.g. not worried about extra fancy boozo or status etc), when you look at the QR F seat andfind it is on 1″ wider and 3″ more ptich than the J seat, I’m not suprised that they are ripping out F on a lot of frames – sale of F must have been cannibalised by J.

JohnHarper
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls