Robbery at Mount Nelson Hotel

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

It appears to have been a well planned and executed robbery. It must have been a pretty horrifying experience for guests and staff alike, but nobody was injured.

Not that brilliant though, the robbers were caught the next day which considering the level of competency of the SAP is little short of a miracle.

The ‘security’ consisted of a wooden hut with a wooden barrier raised by a security guard. Last time I went there he just waved me in without any check. Apparently these robbers pointed a gun at him and he opened the barrier. It would have made little difference anyway, any robber who wanted to get through is not likely to worry about damaging the car on a flimsy wooden barrier.

I am surprised that security has not been improved since there have been two previous similar incidents.

capetonianm
    Participant

SA wants to make tourists feel safer, with most recent incidents to shape National Tourism Safety Strategy

http://www.traveller24.com/News/sa-wants-to-make-tourists-feel-safer-with-most-recent-incidents-to-shape-national-tourism-safety-strategy-20190722?

shared via @Traveller24_SA

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m at the Mount Nelson now, and it’s certainly business as usual. No-one is talking about it and it seems bookings for the all important summer season have not been affected and no cancellations from the regulars.

What is noticeable is the increased security presence, the metal gate from the Kloof Street side is now closed at night and at the main entrance they stop everyone, look inside the car and only let you in giving name and room number or a confirmed reservation in one of the restaurants. Anyone else has the car registration noted and has to show identity.

News reports of millions being stolen are exaggerated as the displays contain glass replicas with the originals being bought in from outside.

We all feel very safe here and I’d certainly not put anyone off from booking and enjoying this legendary hotel.

capetonianm
    Participant

Another upmarket Cape Town jewellery store robbed by armed gang
    2019-07-31 14:53

A jewellery store at the upmarket Cape Quarter shopping complex on Wednesday became the latest target of armed robbers in Cape Town. Four men, one armed with a firearm and others with hammers, entered the premises at around 10:00 and threatened the complainant, said Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana.

They fled with jewellery worth an undisclosed amount of money in a white Ford Fiesta. She said no shots or injuries were reported.
    “Police detectives are following up on leads in order to bring the perpetrators to book.”

News24 reported that criminals in the city had turned their sights to high-end businesses in central Cape Town.The Cape Town Central City Improvement District (CCID) said this had resulted in “unprecedented levels” of armed robberies. An armed gang robbed Cape Town’s Diamond Works shop opposite the Cape Town International Convention Centre earlier this month, News24 reported. Earlier this month, a group of men believed to be behind a spate of armed robberies in Cape Town central was arrested this week, allegedly while in possession of firearms. The Daily Voice reported that they were believed to behind the robbery of the Mount Nelson Hotel.

I understand that the store was Uwe Koetter, a long-established upmarket jeweller.

Warnings have also – once again – been issued about hiking, after a 44 year old Ukrainian visitor was stabbed to death and robbed at East Fort, on Chapman’s Peak drive just a few minutes from Hout Bay. This is a place where we used to go for picnics, walks with doggies, or just to enjoy the stunning view.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls