Review: The Marker Hotel, Dublin, Rep. of Ireland

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

We knew about the building the Marker is located at for a few years now. Originally it should have been a Park Hyatt. The plans fell through, so we were excited when we heard it was finally opening as a hotel. It opened on the 2nd of April 2013.

The architect was Manuel Aires Matteus. The building looks unusual, because it is inspired by Irish landscapes, like the Giant’s Causeway or the Cliffs of Moher.

The Marker is located at Grand Canal Dock, just opposite the Bord Gais Energy Theater, a short walk from the IFSC and the O2 Point Depot, another venue for concerts.

We walked from the city center to the Marker. I guess it takes with brisk walking fifteen minutes. If you stroll, it’s more likely to take twenty to twenty five minutes. My better half took photographs, so it took longer than that.

If you want to use public transport the 77a bus stops at nearby Pearse Street. The easiest way is probably to get in at the Central Bank on Dame Street.

Otherwise taxis are also easily available.

There was still some building work going on and the already infamous Rooftop Lounge hadn’t open yet. It should be ready by the beginning of May.

At the entrance we were warmly greeted by the doorman.

The lobby is interesting because it is designed like a cave, but the windows – the whole front is glass – let in enough light, so it doesn’t feel gloomy. Instead it’s quite airy.

The whole hotel is design driven and contemporary.

The reception is located a little bit to the left. If you go further down, you end up at the Brasserie or if you turn right after the entrance you are already at the Marker Bar.

We checked in on the fifth day of operation and had booked a Corner Suite for the price of a Deluxe Room. It was the opening rate.

The Marker has joined Leading Hotels of the World and since we are Leaders Club Members we played a little game. Would we be further upgraded or not?

Check in was smooth and efficient. It was a bit surprising, because we had been willing to give the hotel some leeway, since it was newly opened.

The receptionist was aware what Leaders Club Benefits we should receive and advised us about free internet, breakfast and a room upgrade.

A nice lady accompanied us to our Luxury Junior Suite and explained all the features.

Our suite was large and unusual shaped with a small hallway. The wardrobe was located there. It contained the safe and iron, ironing board.

A small annoyance is the safe. It has been installed that the door opens up towards you, so it is in the way if you want to store items or remove them.

We had a small coffee table, a sofa, a chair, two benches, a writing desk and a huge bed. The Flat Screen TV has a system that allows you to read all about the hotel and its facilities. In case you don’t like to use that, there is also a print out available on high quality paper. The same goes for in room dining. The TV channel selection was good. Only CNN was missing.

On the writing desk was a welcome letter by Charlie Shiel, the general manager.

The mini bar was discreetly hidden behind what looks like another cupboard or wardrobe. It can be easily overlooked, because it is very well integrated, and at first I thought it contained some security/electricity related stuff until my better half enlightened me.

On the small table were our welcome gifts – sweets from the kitchen (blondies, strawberries covered in chocolate – they looked they were wearing a suit – and chocolate mousse), a fruit basket with fruits we really love, a large bottle of still water and a newspaper. The plate containing the sweets was decorated with chocolate, reading “Welcome to The Marker” and a tree topped with a raspberry. It was a very nice touch.

The bathroom has under floor heating. It can be individually regulated like the air conditioning, and both worked well.

The bathroom was large with a sink, enough storage space for all of our cosmetic, luxurious Malin & Goetz amenities, shaving kit, full dental kit, toilet, scale, separate bath tub and large shower with a squared rain shower head. Material used was white and black marble.

The Color scheme in the bedroom was white, grey, yellow and lilac.

There were also tea/coffee making facilities, and the mini bar contained some interesting local snacks and drinks.

The room was very comfortable and the views romantic over the Grand Canal Square.

The hotel has also a gym, spa with products used by Kersin Florian and indoor pool. This time around we didn’t manage to use those facilities, but we went to the bar.

There was quite a buzz going on. It wasn’t loud, just very full. We found a comfortable sofa and enjoyed people watching.

The waitress handed us menus and was soon back to take our order. We had a Drumbuie and a Kahlua, the House Terrine with sourdough bread and a side salad and two portions of the blondies. All was delicious. The service was prompt and attentive. The cost was a bit under 30 Euro (ca. 40 USD).

When we passed reception on our way back to the room, we asked for a late check out and requested a wake up call. The late check out was granted without quibble.

We were also offered a newspaper. Unfortunately only the Irish Times was for free. We prefer the Irish Independent. There was an additional charge of 3 Euro. I hesitated a bit, because I didn’t see why we should pay extra for this, if we could simply go home the next day and read the newspaper for free online. I consulted with my better half. Since he wished to have it, I agreed.

We were about to make ourselves comfortable in the suite, when Housekeeping arrived for turn down.

I advised the two ladies they could go ahead. It took only a couple of minutes. We received two pieces of mint chocolate each.

Housekeeping also asked if I wanted the carpet hovered. It was spotless anyway, so it wasn’t needed. I received an apology for disturbing me, but that wasn’t necessary.

Later in the evening I requested more soap and bath gel. It arrived promptly and was again more than we expected. In fact there were two full sets of Malin & Goetz amenities. We already know the company from our stay at the Klaus K hotel in Helsinki and love them.

The Marker is the only hotel on the whole island, which offers Malin & Goetz.

We had room service later in the evening. We ordered hot chocolate, roast beef sandwich, salmon fillet and chocolate mousse. The gentleman from room service advised it would take around twenty five to thirty minutes. I was surprised when room service showed up after fifteen minutes. He told me they weren’t very busy, so they could deliver earlier.

I soon realized why it had been so early. Somehow our order got mixed up. Instead of salmon fillet we received smoked salmon. It looked appetizing, but was still wrong, so with an apology the item was removed and the correct one freshly made. Another fifteen minutes later room service was back and brought the fish and a second pot of hot chocolate [ which was offered complimentary ] in case the other one was cold by now.

We were also offered to replace the dessert, because the ice cream had melted. I didn’t want another disturbance and wanted to enjoy dinner with my better half, so I did forgo it.

I wasn’t too upset about the glitch. It had happened to us before that we received the wrong meals in hotels that had longer open than The Marker. As it was a cold sandwich, it didn’t make a difference. The dinner came in at slightly under 49 Euro (ca. 64 USD).

The food quality was excellent and the dishes delicious. We enjoyed the views and a good conversation while having dinner. It was dark by now and the markers outside [ after which the hotel is named ] were lighted. There was also a colorful arrow directly showing to the hotel.

We have been told we have been given the best room in the house [ beside the full suites ] and that it had been the show room before opening. Based on the beautiful views over the theatre and the Grand Canal Dock, it is easily to believe.

By the way the windows aren’t made from mirror glass, so if you want privacy, close the curtains.

We had our five minutes in the spotlight earlier in the day. A lady had seen us, standing in our pajamas at the floor to ceiling windows. She waved at us, and I returned the favor. Her companion took a photograph of us. Which we found funny. [ and NO, we aren’t celebrities ]

Before we could settle into bed, we had fun with the curtain. The suite had three windows. One was located in the corner of the building. The curtain was following the corner. We tried very hard to get it around the bend, but it wouldn’t budge. We feared we were going to ruin it, so we called reception to send somebody up to close the curtain for us. If the request was odd, the receptionist wasn’t showing it.

The member of staff arrived within minutes. He had at first also issues getting it closed. We found out, when you go behind the curtain and pull at the handle it functions. Problem solved, we went happy to bed and slept through until the punctual wake up call.

I checked if there was any newspaper. There wasn’t.

When we were ready to leave for breakfast an International Herald Tribune was waiting for us at the door step. There wasn’t any charge for that. The member of staff has been receptive, and it was the right choice for us. It is in the details that makes the difference between a good and an excellent hotet, and this hotel is excellent.

The breakfast was served at the Brasserie. We were brought to our table by the host. It wasn’t very busy, only a few other couples. We had a window seat. Soon our waiter arrived and took our order for hot beverages, juice and toast. The jam was already on the table. There is a buffet breakfast, including some hot items, like grilled tomatoes with mushrooms, scrambled eggs, bacon and so on, cold cuts, local cheese, artisanal yogurt, cut fruit and fruit salad as well as three juices and much more. The quality was excellent. There are also a la carte items available, some with a supplement charge, like French Toast (5 Euro / ca. 6.50 USD) or free of charge, like the Bircher Berner Muesli.

One of the heaters didn’t close or only with great difficulty, but I hope this issue is solved by now.

The tables are on the smaller, but stylish side.

The staff was very attentive. Shortly before we left we received the bill. It only showed the 5 Euro for the French Toast my better half had ordered, so it was correct.

Unfortunately way too soon it was time to check out, which was quick and friendly.

I hope we can go back this year, other commitments allowing.

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES!
    Would we stay at this hotel again? YES!

Nice to read a hotel review for a change, and a good one at that!

I just love underfloor heating, but have only experienced it once in Oslo or somewhere up there!

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

Hi Alexpo1,

we love underfloor heating too, we have experienced this at 3 hotels incl. the Swissotel, The Howard in London, when it was still there, sadly it’s gone now, the Klaus K in Helsinki where even the entrance category rooms offer underfloor heating and in Dublin at the Marker.

Thanks for your compliments regarding our Marker Hotel review.

Cheers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls