Restaurant in New York recommendation please….

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I need to arrange a surprise lunch midweek, 12 noon (or earlier start time), in around 2 weeks, somewhere near to The Waldorf Astoria, 301 Park Avenue.

I am looking for a stylish restaurant where the food is not too heavy. We have to be back at the Waldorf by 2.15pm latest. We will all be casually dressed.

Its more about 8 friends who have not seen each other for ages, getting together for a couple of hours to celebrate a 60th birthday of one of the group.

Prefer to sit at a round table so we can all speak.

Thanks for your help…

Any ideas/recommendations would be appreciated…

esselle
    Participant

The Brasserie or Brasserie 8 1/2 are both close by and should fit the bill.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Martyn – I often frequent a seafood / greek restaurant on 48th St between Lex & 3rd called Avra.

Very close to the Waldorf (if you use the entrance on Lex).

It is relaxed, informal and generally always busy (which I’ve always taken to be a good sign), though I normally eat there early evening time.
    The seafood is excellent. I wouldn’t describe it as ultra top end, but I’ve never had a bad meal there and as a group you should enjoy it.

Tramor01
    Participant

There is always The four Seasons Restaurant at 280 Park Avenue within easy walking distance of the Waldorf – They have the option of the Pool Room or Grill Room

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, I’d recommend Smith and Wollensky on 3rd and 49th. It’s just one block away if you come out of the Lexington exit.

http://smithandwollenskynyc.com/mobile/

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=766586]Martyn, I’d recommend Smith and Wollensky on 3rd and 49th. It’s just one block away if you come out of the Lexington exit.

http://smithandwollenskynyc.com/mobile/

[/quote]

+1

LondonViking
    Participant

The Atlantic Grill on 72nd & 3rd. 5 minute taxi. Or there is Nobu57 which is on, wait for it….. 57th street.

onajetplane
    Participant

I love Monkey Bar. It’s one of Graydon Carter’s ventures (Editor Vanity Fair) so usually a nice buzz.

The Modern at the Museum of Modern Art is also excellent and a real treat!

Enjoy.

JasmineBear
    Participant

Martyn

A favourite of mine is the SeaFire Grill, 158 E48th Street, between Lexington and 3rd.

The Sea Fire Grill

It’s about 2 blocks and less than 5 minutes walk from Waldorf.

See what you think

Tramor01
    Participant

A couple of other option are at Grand central Station, They Oyster Bar and Restaurant, and Michael Jordan’s Steakhouse. Don’t let any pre-conceived perception of the location put you off as both are pretty good.
    If you need an excellent evening restaurant might I suggest One if by land, Two if by sea on Barrow St in the West Village

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Many thanks for all suggestions. I have spoken to a couple of the restaurants already. Some have sadly been discounted as they do not have a round table for 8. Most have been very accommodating regarding the menu (none of us eat sea food) and bearing in mind some of us will be mid trip on QM2, we may need some “lighter” food options… 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

We ended up at the Rock Café in the Rockefeller Center, having been recommended by a colleague. It looks out onto the ice rink, we got a circular table for 8 people. The service was great, the food tasty and did not fill us up so much that we needed to miss a meal when we got back onto the QM2.

https://www.rockefellercenter.com/food-and-drink/rock-center-cafe/

We were lucky with the weather and all in all spent a good 4 hours catching up with old friends…

Would I return……. YES
    Would I recommend to friends…….Yes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls