Restaurant asking for charity donation when settling bill

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

I have not come across this but it annoys the hell out of me when the staff hands you the card machine with the “Do you wish to leave a gratuity” as first Y/N option. talk about attempted guilt blackmail. I always press no and if deserving hand in cash for that part. creeping americanism in the UK

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I would certainly ask for any donation to be removed from the bill. I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself if, how much, and which charities I might donate to.

Restaurants who do this are deliberately putting their customers in an embarrassing position. Any restaurant that did that to me wouldn’t be getting any more of my business.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, Chris – hope you stick around and join in the conversations.

Thanks for your comment about deliberate embarrasment, which is exactly the way I felt

It’s a pretty friendly forum, we sometimes have disagreements, but that’s usually between existing members who go back a while and is often tongue in cheek and there are no ‘keyboard warriors’ waiting to pounce on first time posters.

Please feel free to start a topic, it’s always good to learn the perspective of a new participant and what matters to them.

thebigseats
    Participant

Never had the charity thing at a resto, but have had the awful “would you like to leave a tip” on the card machine. I also absolutely detest it on Airlines when they do this charity collection thing (BA & VS used to/still do??). Fortunately one doesn’t get this on EY/QR/SQ whom I fly the most with these days. Would be a firm no from me in all above cases. How dare such establishments/businesses pressure/guilt/con guests in such a way. I boycott such establishments wherever I can. My charitable contributions are my own private business & no one else’s!

NTarrant
    Participant

Had the ketchup thing at a Mercure in New Zealand quite some years ago. On check in there was a sign about the cost of wifi, about $15 a day I think, as we were on a voucher I asked about paying for the wifi and getting a code, to be told that I was ok I could have it for free!

Then in the resurant I asked for ketchup and they added 50c to the bill for the ketchup!

Not been asked for a donation in a restaurant but a few hotels which have been declined.

stevescoots
    Participant

reviewing my expences this morning I just noticed that Gordon Ramseys in HK (ETST) add 1 HK to the bill automatically. At no point do they ask you, but in the small print it shows it and does give you option to ask for it to be removed. Its only about 10P so will ask for it to be removed, however its downright sneaky for it not to be pointed out by the staff.

PS, london house is no better than average Pub Grub with pretentious staff charging 5 star prices. I much prefered the Bulldogs that was there before, at least it never pretended to be anything other than what it was, a boozer!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder whether the businesses that automatically bill these amounts can show the charities where the money goes. With all the fuss from companies about the cost of making “refunds” (i.e. redirecting a financial credit), it does make you wonder how much it costs firms to administer a “donation” of amounts of less than £1 or the equivalent……. and also exactly how much they are collecting…

esselle
    Participant

I bought my daughter a flat just next door to London House. Her boyfriend went in looking for work and he was given a job as a bartender. He received zero training, and left after one week because the place was a complete shambles.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls