Removal of drinks from flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Hi handbag….thanks for your input. Yes, I think they got the msg at the time. But it is so annoying to hear this as a shareholder.

The previous comment regarding the bags “of empty bottles after a beach party” would indicate that it is still going on with some other fleets. I hear what you say about WW legacy crews.

I gather that. at one of the popular African destinations, customs have cottoned on to the import of alcohol and foodstuffs, and are doing regular searches, by hand and with beagles!

Keep up the good work!

handbag
    Participant

Unfortunately they will get found out and have will to accept the consequences. The Company keep an eye on what is going on.

On WW it verges on paranoia in making sure we have paid. I have seen on very rare ococcasion Crew bag up their purchases and then leave it too late to pay and find the bars are closed. They then tip them down the sink as they can’t take them off and can’t get back in the bar. They would not dream of risking taking them off.

Occasionally we here of someone who has been caught with something they shouldn’t have (no receipt or over the allowance on crew purchase or DF) and what the outcome has been. The reaction is never that it was unfair or sympathy, but what a fool they had been.

We tend not to hear what happens on other Fleets, as less people know the individuals.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

,Openfly…..

Thanks for your comments

I am not having a go at the fact they may, or may not, have been paid for in their allowances but more the fact that as a shareholder and passenger I notie that a lot of benefits are slowly being taken from the passengers in terms of seats on HBO flights, lounge facilities, lower Avios awards and tier points etc etc etc.

I obviously have no way of knowing if the drinks had, or had not, been paid for, and the only reason I know they were BA crew is the fact that they appeared on the beach with BA shopping carrier bags full of the said things, with BA plastic glasses.

The evidence was clearly visible by the rubbish left.

It was NOT a MF crew, but a LHR767 crew, who were on a day off before doing a Caribbean shuttle flight the following day ..so ther was no question of flight times and CAA regulations for drinking,

The point I am making is more benefits are being removed from passengers all the time, I just question who is the airline operating for? The benefits of passengers or crew…and it’s not meant as an insult to the crew

handbag
    Participant

Eastbourneguy

Although I can see why passengers are feeling that benefits are being taken away. I am not sure why the Crew Purchase Scheme which has been in operation for 10 – 15 years should be seen as the airline operating for the benefit of the Crew.

The max wine quarter bottles that each Crew Member can take off is 4. This would cost £3.60, which is a reasonable charge , but not cheap either. It is easier than carrying bottles of wine in suitcases, so as not to pay extortionate hotel prices. I have heard that the Company do not lose money by doing this, but actually make money (benefit).

Providing that Crew pay for the purchase, are within the legal limits of drinking it and the Company profit from it, I am not sure why this would be seen as a problem.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

Handbag

I fully respect your comments

If you see the message I did say that.I cannot verify if the items had or had not been paid for.

if they were, all very well….I had non idea, until today, that you had the option to purchase them

openfly
    Participant

Eastbourneguy,

I hear what you are saying. But, if you saw a number of BA plastic glasses, that must surely count as nickery!!

handbag
    Participant

Eastbourneguy
    Great thing about this site is that we can learn from each other. I have found it really helpful on a personal level and also on a professional level. It is really useful to hear what passengers perceive and feel about certain things, as it makes us more aware.

KarlMarx
    Participant

When I saw the thread title, I wondered if it was another enhancement from a certain airline 🙂

TCSH11
    Participant

We as crew are allowed to buy drinks for our night-stops etc.
    We have to purchase them as we have spot checks and without receipt lose our job.
    If a crew all get together in one room or on the beach we can of course have a great deal of rubbish, surely you should be grateful its all been kept tidy.. and not littered like a lot of hotel guests do.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls