Regal HKG

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Regal airport Hotel HKG, I have been staying here on an off 6-7 times a year for about the last 15 years. Always booking direct with the front desk. Its never been a great hotel and in fact in past few years has become very tired. However its location attached to terminal is perfect if you have a very late night arrival and early morning departure which is exactly what I used it for, used , past tense. I have to make a booking change so was very surprised to find that that they don’t allow changes to dates, don’t allow refunds even though my booking is in 10 days time. I even thought to just gift the dead booking to someone but they don’t even allow name change on booking! Refund is only valid if an airline causes the change.

Well they lost my Companies business from now on, overall we probably book 30+ nights a year there, will use the Marriot instead even though it’s a minibus ride away until the rumoured airside hotel opens (assuming not managed by Regal group!)

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I stayed at the Regal dozens of times between 2003 and 2015, and like you only ever did because it was simply so convenient. I always stayed in a Club room and never really enjoyed it.

I was regularly surprised to see in being voted the best airport hotel in the world.

stevescoots
    Participant

always amazed me too how they got that rating as well. even now many of the rooms have stains from all the disinfectant used during covid

sparkyflier
    Participant

stevescoots your post was timely. A friend of mine asked my advice re HKG airport hotels but I told her that although I have not been in HK for quite a while had heard of the Regal Hotel there (and that it was reasonable in quality) and said that might be ideal.

So it seems to have slipped since then and indeed their booking policies has become unreasonable and frankly a bit bizarre for an airport hotel.

I have bought your post to her attention.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

There are many new hotels in Tung Chung which is a 5 minute drive from the airport. Sheraton, Four Points and The Silveri are all new, so they might be worth consideration, and have local amenities surrounding them, The Marriott is out on its own, if you want more of a local feel, the Tung Chung hotels are close to a nice board walk (good for plane spotting) and shops, restaurants, supermarkets etc.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Sad to see it in such a poor state there TST East property is also well overdue for a major referb.
    The Regal group I understand are building a new hotel at the airport according to their annual report.
    They are a large diverse HK based Hotel group with interests also in aircraft leasing.(their annual report has an image of a BA aircraft)
    Their reports mention a major refreshment of their airport property

BlazeBreeze
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your experience with Regal Airport Hotel. It’s frustrating when hotels have inflexible policies, especially for long-time guests like yourself. The Marriott sounds like a good alternative, given your frequent stays. Hopefully, the new airside hotel will provide a better option when it opens. Until then, Marriott it is!

cwoodward
    Participant

Steve, We have put business guests who need to be close to the airport in the Novatel Citygate for a few years now (rather than the Regal).There is a frequent shuttle and its in fact a nice 15 minute walk.
    We used to have a corp’ rate of about $1300 for an Executive Premier room with club privileges. As I recall the rooms have good views and are a decent size. The hotel is connecting to the large CityGate shopping centre so many food choices and it next to HKS best outlet mall.

It would be my first choice for a night or two these days.

christ
    Participant

The Four Points and Sheraton Tung Chung have a shuttle to both the airport and Tung Chung.

I did a quarantine stay at Four Points and the rooms are small but very modern and functional.

Sheraton Tung Chung is very nice and has an excellent club lounge. Breakfast buffet is huge. Also Sunset Grill serves excellent meat and seafood and has an expansive terrace overlooking the water and great for spotting the planes. I have done staycations here (when visiting Disney) and highly recommend.

stevescoots
    Participant

Thanks everyone, got a late arrive from SGN to HKG on Sat so will check these out

GivingupBA
    Participant

I have stayed many times in the airport Regal and love it for its convenience. Not for rooms though, I agree. I stayed in the Mariott once, it was great but not for early flights I think.

Tung Chung sounds good, thanks for the tip.

BT
    Keymaster

The new Regal property at the airport is actually open. It is called Regala. At the moment you need to catch the airport express one stop. It is next to Asia World Expo and what will be the new 11 Skies development. In time I understand you will be able to walk there. https://www.regala-hotels.com/en/regala-skycity-hotel

3 users thanked author for this post.

Peter
    Participant

I have booked Regal Hotel for upcoming stay at end of June. I wanted to change booking but was told there is 100% cancellation charge even at the full rate. Not good enough in this day and age. I too am frequent traveller. I will check out hotel and advise after stay.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have a short stay in HKG in a few weeks and whilst the Sheraton in Kowloon starts a major refurb, was thinking about the Sheraton Tung Chung where I understand from this thread there are a choice of decent restaurants. I also believe it is close to some places to hike for the day. Is Ngon Ping worth the ride?

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Yes Martyn, there are some lovely hikes from Tung Chung, many with great views over the airport as you climb. The cable car is a quick and easier way to get to the summit and see the Big Budda, with nice views of the airport, and the topography of Lantau island. You can pay extra for a glass-floored car, for a more immersive experience. Let’s hope the weather improves, as it has been very wet for the past few weeks! I would advise particularly on the weekend to go early as the cable car can be very busy with day-tripping tourists from the Mainland, and the added benefit of cooler weather.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls