Redeeming Avios

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

Hi all

A friend of mine and I had in mind to spend some of our Avios for a trip and we had a look at the calendar for a booking.

The distance here is OSL – LHR return.

I would be able to book this for 15k Avios plus 345 NOK fees.
    My friend is only able to book this for 15k Avis plus 1047 NOK fees.

I spent some time to figure out why we got different prices, and I realized I get Reward Saver, he does not.

Is this because he is at Blue Level? Are they not eligible for the Reward saver?

MontysDouble
    Participant

To qualify for Reward Flight Saver prices (where the taxes and surcharges on zone 1-3 redemption flights get replaced by a flat fee) you need to have collected (earned) 1 Avios point in your account in the last 12 months.

ANY* earning will do: Credit to the BAEC account a flight, hotel stay, car hire, making a purchase through the BA online shopping portal, simply buying some Avios when logged into BAEC, being gifted them by another member, or transferring them from a different loyalty scheme (i.e. Amex Membership Rewards, Credit Card points, a hotel scheme, Tesco Clubcard, BAA WorldPoints/Heathrow Rewards).

If you have hotel or credit card or other loyalty points to convert that might be reasonably quick and acceptable value.
    If you don’t, buying the smallest amount (1000) will be the quickest but poor value way to Avios.
    If you have plenty of time, buy something through the BA shopping portal (such as cheap music track in itunes, etc) – will probably be one of the cheapest ways, but takes time for the points to post (weeks at a minimum).

While I said any earning would do, including being gifted them from another BAEC member (this is poor value for money), the one type of credit that does not count, is ‘Combine my Avios’ transfers from your accounts in other schemes that use Avios points (Iberia Plus, etc).

The earning must be direct into your BAEC account.

Assuming you have enough Avios, you could of couse book both tickets out of your acocunt, and you friend could book one for you later once they have got their account activated for RFS fares.

Note:
    1. Unlike for the 36 months inactivity expiry, where virtually any earn OR burn will do to prevent your Avios from expiring this needs to be earning.
    2. If you also have accounts with the other schemes that use Avios, the earning needs to be credit to your BAEC account, ‘Combine my Avios’ transfers from other avios schemes don’t count.
    3. The UK and South Africa only scheme avios.com also has reward flight savers, similarly to be active for booking them in that scheme you must have earned and Avios in the last 12 months inside your account in that scheme.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Really great response, MontysDouble.

Good to see a highly knowledgeable poster helping out 🙂

RoadKing
    Participant

Awesome answer. Thx a lot! 🙂

Bubbahs
    Participant

We always book WTP and upgrade to Biz with Avios for longhaul and have done so for many years but over the last couple of months the availability is dire especially to our usual destinations, Denver and Phoenix. Has anyone else experienced this? Also does anyone have any tips of “when” to look or is it pot luck?

Raffles99
    Participant

Pot luck. Usually a couple of seats 355 days out when booking opens and usually a few a couple of days before departure. It gets a bit random inbetween.

Should be able to fly elsewhere and connect on AA or, post April 1st, US, albeit the connection will need more Avios.

PhilipHart
    Participant

Hi All

For anything to do with FF programmes, and especially those relating to Avios, I highly recommend the excellent Head for Points blog.

It contains lots of useful advice – e.g. “Avios University” – and each day flags up new and imaginative ways to accumulate and spend FF points.

Bubbahs
    Participant

Thabk you, my first post on joining and great to get a fast reply.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I would recommend calling up BAEC and asking if there is any connecting availability on AA.

DEN and PHX are in high demand, and you might be better off booking a discounted exEU fare to get exactly the days and flights you want, as it’s quite late in the day to book these routes on avios.

There is currently a 20% off offer exFrance which might be useful, but only valid in Economy and Premium Economy:

http://www.offreslowcost.com/2014/03/british-airways-20-de-reduction-offerts.html

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Hi BubbahS,

Have you seen this thread? I raised a similar issue regarding west coast availability this summer and received a lot of helpful advice especially on how to redeem with AA.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA-Avios-booking-advice-sought

I agree with SM’s last comment about booking sale fares (ex-EU) especially if you are regular traveller on your routes. I have recently developed my own rule on when to redeem and when to pay which if you are interested is the last post in this thread.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Which-airline-offers-and-delivers-the-best-FFP?page=3#last_post

Bubbahs
    Participant

Thank you again for all your help, it will give me lots of investigating to do. Have only just decided to do this as before I just booked BA when needed. Good to know that there is help out there from you guys.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls