rather misleading BA advert?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

I have just received the latest monthly BA Executive Club email.

The first paragraph is talking about the new WTP and TP comfort and the fleece blankets/big screens etc. Has this been rolled out across the whole fleet, or is it still just one aircraft..a 777…that has the upgraded cabin?

If it is just one aircraft, as yet, then this is a bit misleading and might contravene advertising standards.

kellner
    Participant

Indeed it is just the solitary ONE aircraft for now until the remaining 5 777-300 are rolled out……..and the 24 older 777-200 GMIS aircraft go in for a cabin refit…..then you’ll have to wait until 2013 for the A380 and 2012 for the 787 to join the fleet……

In the meantime its pot luck if you experience the new WT/WT+ since they will only be flying certain routes and if that route has more than one flight a day you may experience it on the outbound sector and not the return……….

The mind boggles as to why the remainder of the fleet is not being upgraded especially as the 747’s still have many years service left in them…….

If BA is advertising the roll out of their new product across the worldwide fleet, then in my opinion, that is misleading……….however, if it is just soft furnishing they’re referring to, then that has been rolled out across the fleet (ie; blankets)

CharlieBrown
    Participant

This BA bashing is becoming a rather monotonous affair. Compare this to a Ryanair advert for “99p flights!”. In this e-mail, if you click on the link it clearly states:

“The seats are rolling out on new aircraft deliveries to our fleet. If you’re lucky enough to board our beautiful new Boeing 777-300ER on selected flights to Mumbai, Dubai, Chicago or Delhi, you may have a chance to try them out straight away.

And coming soon: the Dreamliner (Boeing 787) and the Airbus A380. We’ll keep you posted as to when and where”.

Nothing misleading here. Here is the complete text:

“This month sees the launch of our new World Traveller Plus, and new World Traveller seats.

In World Traveller Plus, you’ll be even more comfortable as our new seats have an even greater recline. We’ve made the video touchscreens 60% bigger, and given you two USB ports along with the RCA port for your
    i-Pod, MP3 player and laptop. In fact, the only thing we’ve reduced is any disturbance to your listening pleasure, thanks to new noise cancelling headsets.

Our World Traveller experience now includes the latest on-demand entertainment on 35% bigger seatback touchscreens. And our new, adjustable hammock-style headrest is designed for better neck support.

We have redesigned our pillows and are introducing fleece blankets in the new-style cabins. And while continuing to serve delicious three-course meals designed by leading chefs, we will now be serving them on stylish new white dishes.

The seats are rolling out on new aircraft deliveries to our fleet. If you’re lucky enough to board our beautiful new Boeing 777-300ER on selected flights to Mumbai, Dubai, Chicago or Delhi, you may have a chance to try them out straight away.

And coming soon: the Dreamliner (Boeing 787) and the Airbus A380. We’ll keep you posted as to when and where”.

Very interested in this upgraded meal service. I wonder if it is purely a WT+ development or inclusive of WT. It appears BA is going beyond simply installing new seats and upgrading the entire economy product.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks Kellner. Sorry If I offended you Thomas Brown.

I spoke to Consumer Direct yesterday and they consider that the ASA would look seriously at the wording as ”being misleading”, if it were in print.

BA are NOT converting the 747 fleet. You cannot advertise something as happening now for something that will happen years in the future.

BA has to be ”bashed” to make them aware that the premium passengers have concerns. They read these comments. I was an ardent fan of BA but because of their strikes, and lowered service, have found that there is a world of excellent alternatives in F and J out there. In most cases , BA ”bashing”, as Thomas Brown puts it, on this site is constructive and valid criticism from premium passengers who want value and the old BA quality.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Thomas Brown.

It is known as feedback and it is worth its weight in gold to any switched on marketeer.

I’m a fan of Club World on business and I like WTP for leisure (I think the value proposition is excellent), but I am somewhat offended by the arrogance of the statement “The seats are rolling out on new aircraft deliveries to our fleet. If you’re lucky enough to board our beautiful new Boeing 777-300ER on selected flights to Mumbai, Dubai, Chicago or Delhi, you may have a chance to try them out straight away.

Lucky enough? Who do these idiots in marketing think they are? There is a lot of fierce competition out there, pax are not constrained by a government imposed five year plan in the former USSR and the distant gleam of a Lada on the horizon, if we keep our head down and noses clean ;-(

It really sums up the present situation of BA reducing service, when I can hand on heart say that Air Malta’s business class knocks spots off Club Europe.

Drinks before take off, two hot towel services and a choice of meals where I have yet to fail to receive my first choice; mind you, I’ve only flown about 300 sectors with Air Malta.

I really wish for BA to do well, as I do like using their services, but they do need to get their act together for premium pax, as the post before this one says.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

openfly – i think you need to get out more!

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Hello openfly, no offence taken at all and I concede you make a very valid point in the constructive nature of criticism BA has received on these forums.

DisgustedofSwieqi I also agree with your comment regarding the slight arrogance in their marketing material. I also share your concern of BA cost cutting. I hope these are temporary measures and in time we’ll see investment increased in areas which have recently witnessed cuts.

I like BA, a lot, although I would never be offended by criticism of the airline. I myself have experienced substandard service not up to the standard one would expect. I subsequently complained. Nevertheless I do believe we should complement as well as criticise, something I have also done directly through EC.

Thank you for your comments, interesting to read.

Just out of interest, do BA management take notice of Business Traveller forums?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Thomas-Brown

Thanks for your opinion. Maybe I have been lucky, but the service in Club World has always been good to better than.

I had a very disappointing flight in CE earlier this year, and like you, wrote in to point out some shortcomings.

I’ve yet to receive a response, but hope springs eternal :-).

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Very strange DisgustedofSwieqi, my last complaint was answered in just a few days!

The last “congratulations” I sent concerned a Friday evening EDI-LHR flight I took sometime in 2009. Together with the free bar service they served a delicious salad (accompanied with a good quality olive oil), a bread roll and a rich rice yoghurt desert. The cabin crew were excellent and the flight full of extremely well dressed & presented people (typical of LHR-EDI at peak times!). We arrived into Heathrow with the pleasure of flying over London at night. Just a flight from Scotland to London (of journey I do a lot) and yet I remember how fantastic it was.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“We arrived into Heathrow with the pleasure of flying over London at night. Just a flight from Scotland to London (of journey I do a lot) and yet I remember how fantastic it was.”

Julian Pettifer made a TV series in the 1980s named ‘Diamonds in the Sky’ to highlight such experiences.

A cold, clear winter night over a large city is a wonderful reminder of how fortunate we are to have such experiences, when even 50 years ago it was very restricted.

My last ‘congrat was not to BA, but to Air Malta a couple of months ago, to praise a crew who delivered one of the best inflight experiences I have ever had, with real Mediterranean warmth.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The book is still available, a snip at £111:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Sky-Social-History-Travel/dp/0370301625

openfly
    Participant

Hi Theworldtraveller…are you a CSD or a purser?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

VK, that is amazing.

I still have my original, which IIRC, cost about £15 🙂

Not a bad investment, apparently. Although as used versions are available from £0.01, not realisable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls