Rail ticket websites “warned over drip pricing”

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

A number of you have previously commented on Trainline and its booking fees.

In recent years a number of new online ticket retailers have appeared on the scene and, like Trainline, they impose booking fees. But the fees in question tend not to be shown until late in the booking process.

Travellers who book direct with the rail operator pay no booking fees.

Rail regulator ORR has written to these companies. The latter have not been named.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67681277

3 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Alex wrote: “Travellers who book direct with the rail operator pay no booking fees”

I have booked trains to the North-West three times in the last few weeks, using Avanti’s own website. Very straight forward – and I can confirm no booking fees.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

FDOS
    Participant

As the Trainline website platform to provide the websites for the TOCs and there is no cost to book through the TOC, I can’t understand why anyone would use the Trainline.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

I share the views of FDOS I simply don’t understand why anyone uses Trainline for domestic train tickets.

Another Virgin/ Branson wheeze to rip of rail passengers

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Last yesterday the DfT said that it was “no longer pursuing plans” to have a centralised online rail booking site.

When the plan for Great British Railways was announced the idea was that this new body (which still has not launched) would simplify fares.

And part of the simplification was that there would just be one single booking site.

The FT (possible paywall) reports that Trainline shares rose today (Friday) by as much as 22 per cent.

https://www.ft.com/content/91e32d23-8f04-4474-baec-e8982c7c3822

BPP
    Participant

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to book via Trainline. Have used AWC in First Class both to London and the North West very many times – booked through the AWC web site. Set up an account and compensation for any delay is automatic and quick. Similarly with our local West Midlands Railway. Trainline is useful for timings but that’s all!
    I’ve found over the years that the same applies with hotels and airlines, direct booking is invariably cheaper than the agencies – just need to do one’s homework!
    BPPhttps://www.businesstraveller.com/forum/

2 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

I understand exactly where you are coming from however the chaotic nature of the UK rail system means that I have in the past often needed to download multiple apps consequently this drove me to Trainline. I now know you can book any train on any app but I wonder how many others do!

Recently I have been using Uber as 10% is refunded in the form of ride credit. This started well but last weekend it would not provide the lowest fare (as it had previously on the same route) and so I reverted to TL.

There really ought to be a single booking engine as there is in Germany. I love travelling by train in Germany, though it is becoming very expensive when you are an infrequent traveller and cannot benefit from BhanCard.

MikeReading
    Participant

I think some people assume that you can only book tickets on a TOC website for that company’s trains, but in fact all the TOCs sell tickets for all the operators. The only thing you might miss out on is any ‘perks’ offered by the individual TOCs (Avanti and LNER spring to mind). You certainly won’t get any of them booking through pointless Trainline!

4 users thanked author for this post.

x2000traveller
    Participant

Yes, the only difference I am aware of is that the Avanti West Coast’s ‘Standard Premier’, ie. 1st class carriages but without the free ‘catering offer’, can only be booked via their own website/app. And Crosscountry still allows changes to be made on Advance fars (both to their bookings and others) without the £10 change fee the others impose. Otherwise, there are a large range of apps, the differences being in things like how frequently you need to relogin if there has been no use for a few weeks and things like that….

4 users thanked author for this post.

NTarrant
    Participant

The only time I would use Trainline is for European rail tickets when that is the advice from seat61.com.

I use Transport for Wales app and website, yes I live in Wales, but as someone has said you don’t have to use the TOC app/website you are travelling on. The only downside with TfW is if you choose to book a seat you don’t get a preference (e.g facing, window). If you are an Avios collector you can get 4 Avios per £ with TfW.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I travel quite a lot by train in Europe, and checking the Trainline and another app I can no longer recall, found them to be quite a bit more expensive than booking directly. For this I use either bahn.de or SBB.ch (my preference) and find both very efficient. You can choose to see the site in English and setting up an account is very easy. Both have good apps.

You can also book direct via the national operator’s website, but when doing multi country journeys, this can be a bit cumbersome and the price is more or less the same when added up. The only advantage can be that some countries have special offers which do not always show, or are taken into account, when using bahn or sbb.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TonyR
    Participant

I do my booking through a site set up by the rail geeks forum, RailUKforum.com. Very good service – ranked #1 on TrustPilot – and will automatically split tickets for you. I understand that Avanti Premium will also be included in the future.

https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls