Quickest way to Newark

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m going to NY shortly and while I’ve been many times before, this time, instead of leaving on a Saturday in all peace and calm, after my meeting finishes at 5.30 pm on a Friday I’ll be heading straight to Newark for my 8.30 pm Lufthansa flight.

Can anyone advise on the best way to get there in good time as I guess the rush hour will be in full swing?

I’d be grateful for any hints. Thanks.

onajetplane
    Participant

I would always take the train from Penn Station if I was in a similar situation as at least you can be certain you will avoid the rush hour traffic leaving Manhattan to NJ. The trains are super frequent and normally take 30-35mins, then it is a short air-train over to terminal B for your departure…

Hi LP, from which area of Manhattan will you be leaving?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry Alexpo, I should have said. I’m leaving from the Univercity club which is fairly close to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

Hi LP

As you have 3 hours between meeting and departure, I would go for a door-to-door taxi. Otherwise, I would have suggested a taxi to Penn for the train or to the WTC for the PATH.

Have a good trip.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Onajetplane and Alexpo. I thinking about the train,though I’ve never taken it before, as I’d really like to be there 2 hours in advance to try the lounge and so on.

How long do you think a taxi would take door to door?

onajetplane
    Participant

I have taken various car services/flagged cabs to newark from manhattan and it really does depend on traffic. Normally 35-40minutes… however the only reason I suggested the train was that once I left manhattan at approx 530pm on a friday in a cab to newark and I actually missed my flight due to traffic (albeit flight was at 730pm so you have an extra hour) as the traffic through the tunnel and toll was virtually standstill… on that occasion if I had just gone to penn and taken a train I would have definitely made the flight! However I am pretty sure if you leave at 530 in a cab you will get there in good enough time for an 830 flight.
    Safe travels!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Onajetplane, that’s precisely what I feared. I’ve no baggage as such, just a small carry on so I think I’ll go for the train.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Change of plan. My need to be back so quickly went, so will be joined by my son and staying till Sunday evening leaving ex JFK.

Of course now I’ll be taking a taxi, I’ve lost my excuse and mrs. LP now busy ordering all her shopping she wants me to bring back!!! Oh dear…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls