Question related to mileage accrual on AA

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Good day BT and a Happy new year to everyone.

American Airlines mileage accrual starts 1st March of every calendar year. If I booked a return trip with the first leg mid Feb and return leg mid March, does each leg’s mileage accrue to the its respective mileage year or does the overall round trip accrue to the new mileage year? Common sense suggests it’s the first. In which case, is it possible to request AA to have the whole trip’s mileage accrue to the current year’s?

I will call AA Customer support but the messaging seems so inconsistent these days, I also wanted to run it past the BT experts in case anyone has had AA do this for them.

Thanks in advance.

AJDC
    Participant

Each leg accrues to the year in which the leg is flown. So from your example using 2023/2024 as base years: your first leg in Feb will accrue the mileage for 2023. Your second leg in mid March will accrue mileage for qualifying year 2024.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Yes, thanks AJDC and that’s what I thought as well. I was wondering if there’s a way to request the airline if I could accrue the 1st leg miles for the next year 2024. anyone tried that and more importantly, successful?

Swissdiver
    Participant

@MarkivJ, I tried this with AF. They refused, quite logically to be fair.

AJDC
    Participant

I have a business trip on AA with the first leg departing Feb 25th 2024. My return leg leaves LAX on Feb 29th from LAX to Phoenix. I then have a connection from Phoenix to DC at 1Am to complete the journey. I asked AA if they could credit the entire trip to 2023 qualification year. They said no. So all legs but the Phoenix DC leg will go to 2023 and the Phoenix/DC leg goes to 2024. This leaves me a little short for status qualification and I will now have to find other means to gain the points.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls