Question re. a 20 hour delay on GIG-LHR flight.

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Globe-Trotter
    Participant

On 24 Feb I was due to return from Rio de Janeiro to London on the 23.55 flight. At 16.00 that day I received 4 emails and a text message advising departure would be 20.15 next day, 25 Feb.

Although unexpected, this wasn’t a huge problem as I hadn’t left for the airport and could stay an extra night with my partner, who lives in RJ. Oddly, at check-in, it was a business-as-usual attitude and I was offered no apology or explanation for the delay (nor have I since).

The departing flight was completely full – partly because people had also been moved from the 25 Feb, 23.55 flight (also delayed to 08.00 next day). J class was the fullest I’d seen it on that route and it appeared some people had been voluntarily upgraded to ease the situation.

I’ve had Silver membership for seven years, make the LHR-GIG trip at least four times a year and travel extensively with BA in all classes the rest of the time. I had changed my return flight a few days earlier – from 22 to 24 Feb – for which I’d paid £120. At that point too I upgraded from Cattle Plus (Prem. Economy) to Business with 15,000 Avios and a £28 fee.

What, if anything, could one reasonably expect as compensation for this very lengthy delay?

I’d contrast BA’s customer service approach here towards its “Preferred Customers” with a recent Eurostar trip when our out train was delayed by 1.5 hours. Within hours we were offered a 50% discount on a future trip in a very apologetic email.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Sorry to hear about this lengthy delay. But there must have been a reason why. Did you not ask? What did the other passengers say?

Details of passenger rights can be found on the CAA website.

I take your point about Eurostar’s compensation. But bear in mind that its passengers can also encounter severe delays plus less-than-ideal travelling conditions:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/eurostar/6847366/Eurostar-passengers-relive-their-Channel-Tunnel-nightmare.html

Globe-Trotter
    Participant

Thanks for your response, LondonCity.

I did ask what had caused the delay and was told it was a technical problem with the plane at LHR (where things apparently got v fraught: passengers were stuck on the plane for several hours and the police were eventually involved).

RichHI1
    Participant

Globe Trotter, I would have tried to reroute through GRU. The 744 service from there is a bit more reliable though one morning on TAM we had to land at GIG to wait out fog in GRU so you never know. Worth it as a back up though.

Globe-Trotter
    Participant

Just to clarify: I know a technical fault was to blame for the delay.

My question is whether it’s reasonable to contact the Silver Exec Club and request some form of compensation – for example, the 15,000 Avios miles I used to upgrade (particularly as, I believe, other non-Silver/Gold members were voluntarily upgraded as “compensation”?).

timothy222
    Participant

I would say that you are entitles to some form of compensation

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

I would say that your best bet to do is through the means of the CAA rather than BA itself. The EU compensation states that

…Depending on the flight distance and length of delay airlines must provide passengers with: free meals, drinks and two phone calls, emails, telexes or faxes; and/or compensation up to €600….

and

…Any postponements of longer than 5 hours will also make passengers eligible for a refund of the ticket (if they decide not to travel), and if it continues into the night, hotel rooms, and transfer to it, must also be provided for poor weary customers…

Even though you didnt take the hotel, it does state, compensation of upto €600, whether or not you would be entitles to a refund of the Avios miles may be a touchy subject… did you fly home in Club? which if you did then you sat in the seat that you were entitled to as you had paid for the upgrade in advance, a downgrade certainly would entitle you to the refund, also proving that people were voluntarily upgraded is tricky thing to do… do you have written confirmation that these people were upgraded as “compensation” or whether they were upgraded due to operational reasons on the day which resulted in overbooking and thus the need to UG people to higher cabins…

RichHI1
    Participant

I can only cite waht happens on AA as I have no experience of BA as I am not an EC member. Where there are substantial delays caused by the airline as opposed to heathrow closing for weather, when I write to complain to AAdvantage they normally credit some miles as compensation, I do not think you are on solid ground asking for you upgrade miles back as you travelled in the upgraded cabin, I do think however you have the right to express discontent and ask for some form of compensation (either cash or miles – guess which they will prefer).
    As you did not incur additional hotel bills I suspect compensation from BA may be better for you than EU legislation, that said once you explore one avenue you are perfectly able to pursue the other option.

Pierre
    Participant

Hi Globe Trotter,
    Usually, ‘serions airlines’ provide you with drinks, Cold meals, hot meals, and overnight stay, pending to the length of the delay.(More than three hours become interesting..)
    Do not hesitate to contact BA, asking for a compensation. They will not like it, even perfectly aware about the trouble it created to all passengers, but should grant you with ab.20000, pending to the class of travel.

LeTigre
    Participant

Additionally, I normally get substantial sums from my travel insurance company for delays that eg. ruin the holiday, disrupt business, etc.

They are normally quite cooperative!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Virgin Atlantic would have letters pre printed which were handed on arrival or during hte flight permitting a 10% discount off future fares for the trouble caused.

I still have 2 such letters, but cant find the original ticket vouchers to justify the troubled flight.

As far as your situation is concerned Globe-Trotter, it will depend on how much BA wish to retain your business and how much time you wish to invest into obtaining the result you are looking for.

Binman62
    Participant

If as you say you are a long term customer of BA then I would advise an email to customer relations. My experience is universally positive with them. You will be recompensed for any additional hotel costs, food and transport but further than that will be ex gratia, but BA does look after good customers.
    However much we might wish it to be be better, airport handling of delays is pretty dire and their focus, to my mind correctly, is getting you safely away. Claims must be made retrospectively and again I have always found that BA respond quickly and without quibble.

Globe-Trotter
    Participant

Thanks, All, for your prompt and helpful responses.

Globe-Trotter
    Participant

PS
    A call to BA Customer Services and a conversation with a very helpful and understanding member of staff has resulted in 20,000 Avios points going back onto my account – so the follow-up call was worth making.

I should say too that the crew on my much delayed return flight represented BA at its best and did a superb job: without exception they were friendly, polite and nothing was too much trouble.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls