Qatar Airways to join oneworld in October

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Qatar Airways expects to join oneworld in October this year (and still mulling potential joint- venture partnership with oneworld sponsor BA).

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-to-join-oneworld-alliance-partner-with-qantas-in-october

VintageKrug
    Participant

Let the Games begin… 😉

Senator
    Participant

My re-qualification for BAEC for Gold starts in September, so perfect timing as QR has stellar fares to Asia exARN. BKK has been seen as low as £1300 return and yields 140 + 140 + 140 + 140 = 560 TP

Binman62
    Participant

Very good news.

Lets hope it also marks an end to QF being in oneworld. That simply cannot be a sustainable or credible position given their link to EK.

Wasborntotravel
    Participant

What is it with the constant Qantas bashing and having to leave OneWorld?

Qatar currently only serve Melbourne and Perth, so BA will still need to route to Sydney, which they might move as a LHR – Doha – Sydney service leaving the two Singapore flights to terminate or connect to Ho Chi Minh or Jakarta (both are rumors)?

However BA, Cathay and Qatar will still need access to Qantas’s extensive domestic network. Australia is still a popular business and leisure destination and not everything revolves around Sydney or Melbourne. There is a lot of connecting traffic to smaller Australian locations

Qantas used to code share with Air France on the Sydney and Melbourne routes for years, which never seemed to raise any concerns. Air Berlin is now partly owned by Etihad etc. It’s a fact of alliance life these days that carriers have to look inside and outside their alliances for passengers

Personally though I think this will be a great move and I’m looking forward to trying Qatar down to Australia

AfzTabz6
    Participant

Seems like a good idea to me. I would love to work for Qatar! They are doing great and enhancing every opportunity they get!

PhileasFogg
    Participant

Let´s hope Qatar sets new service standards in One World!

Interesting move from AA upgrading business class in 777-3 to Qatar´s configuration in 787. Maybe one day IB/BA will wake up.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There is no reason whatsoever for Qantas to leave oneworld.

stevescoots
    Participant

well that would explain Qr’s creeping prices to Asia then…join OW, business class fares increase…. 6 months ago I was paying on average 1900 LHR to CAN or HKG every month, now its up at around 2500 on average.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“There is no reason whatsoever for Qantas to leave oneworld.”

I’ll be interested if you maintain this view, when the crows come home to roost.

openfly
    Participant

It is very noticeable how the Qatar fares have increased in the last couple of months, obviously to fall into line with BA etc. the end of cheapies!!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I think instead it would be interesting to think of reasons why Qantas should want to stay in oneworld. The main one I can think of is to act as a spoiler to stop Virgin Australia from joining but they seem fairly well down the road to *A now given the recent purchase by SIA.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls