Qatar Airways seeks US$618 million + compensation from Airbus

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

As the Reuters (abridged)report below Alexs report above seems to Qatar’s retaliation to an Airbus filing in the British courts for damages and recovery on the 28th February

PARIS/DUBAI, Feb 28 (Reuters) – Airbus (AIR.PA) hit back in an escalating dispute with Qatar Airways over A350 jets on Monday, asking a British judge to award $220 million in damages over two undelivered airliners.

The planemaker’s claim for two A350s that Qatar’s national carrier has rejected comes after the airline sued Airbus for $600 million over degradation on more than 20 jets recently grounded by Qatar.

Airbus also wants to recover millions of dollars of credits awarded to the airline, a filing showed, offering a rare glimpse into negotiating details in the secretive global aircraft industry.
    Qatar Airways had no immediate comment. Qatar’s aviation authority did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

….and so it rolls on !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As I have noted previously it is almost unheard of for a maufacturer to cancel an aircraft order.

Normally it is the other way round.

Earlier Airbus cancellelled QR’s order for A329 neos (although that decision is subject to review).

Today Reuters reports that Airbus has cancelled one of QR’s A350 orders.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Judge has dismissed the claim.

It now means Airbus is free to sell the jets elsewhere.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reuters toady reports that Airbus has revoked any further A350 orders from QR.

Still awaiting official comment from either party.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/exclusive-airbus-axes-remaining-a350-jet-deal-with-qatar-sources-2022-08-03/

cwoodward
    Participant

Akbar Al Baker has already lost the mAjor court case.

There would seem little point in him contesting this weeks cancellation of the 19 A350 -1000 (the outstanding balance of the original order) but as money seems no object he likely will
    It seems that the airline is already short of suitable aircraft as it has been leasing stored aircraft from Cathay Pacific for the past 18 months and unlikely to have anything suitable for its fleet from Boeing for a least 3 years.

Solution – perhaps purchase yet another airline.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I came across this Bloomberg video on Youtube. It features an interview with the CEO. It’s dated July 18.

It starts off with the CEO commenting on the Heathrow situation and continues with the A350/A321 saga.

Above I linked to a Reuters report yesterday regarding Airbus revoking the remainder of QR’s A350 order.

In the video (at 1 min 45 secs) the CEO says he still has 23 A350s on order.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

News today that Qatar Airways reached an agreement with Airbus.

Both parties have dropped their legal claims.

Details of the settlement are confidential.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1339087]

..and the lawyers are celebrating wildly !!

cwoodward
    Participant

I was interested in this saga and posted up thread that I believed that Akbar Al Baker’s normal bully boy stance was was wrong and would never in my view cause Airbus to roll over – and so it has proved.
    As Airbus had always agreed to fix the aircraft it is Qatar who have lost face over this rather silly spat and suffered considerable self inflicted loss.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What fascinates me, is that a Middle Eastern Airline, suing a French / German company, with registered headquarters in the Netherlands, and it’s head office in France, should sue them in the English high court??

Nick Pike
    Participant

Firstly, an apology- I inadvertently clicked on “report” not reply- there is NOTHING wrong with LP’s posting above. My answer to it- the contract was probably written under English law as a very large number of international contracts are- with an English High Court choice of jurisdiction.

cwoodward
    Participant

Perhaps a French -German – BRITISH -Spanish company would be more correct.
    BAE Systems owns 21% of the business and makes the wings and I believe the undercarriage and of course Rolls Royce make the engines.
    Airbus’s registered headquarters is in Leiden, Netherlands as LuganoPirate mentions.
    There are also significant manufacturing facilities in Taingin China
    It seems that something like 65% of the companies revenues are now from its military and helicopter divisions.
    Perhaps the British courts are the obvious choice as Nike Pike says given that many middle eastern countries routinely use the British legal system as have Airbus previously.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No worries Nick, I’ve also done that several times in the past 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls