Qatar Airways changes tack

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Hardy a ‘fetish’ – perhaps the wrong word used in your post.

Definition from Oxford dictionary

1 An inanimate object to which a pathological sexual attachment is formed, or by extension a person who is the object of an obsessive fixation .

2 An object, the possession of which is believed to procure the services of a spirit lodged within it. See also fetishism. [From Portuguese feitiçio magic, from feitiçio artificial, from Latin facticius artificial or made, from facere to make]

Fetishism

QUICK REFERENCE OVERVIEW
    n. sexual attraction to an inappropriate object (known as a fetish). This may be a part of the body (e.g. the foot or the hair), clothing (e.g. underwear or shoes), or other objects (e.g. leather handbags or rubber sheets). In all these cases the fetish has replaced the normal object of sexual love, in some cases to the point at which sexual relationships with another person are impossible or are possible only if the fetish is either present or fantasized. Treatment can involve psychotherapy or behaviour therapy using aversion therapy and masturbatory conditioning of desirable sexual behaviour. See also sexual deviation.

sparkyflier
    Participant

cwoodward- I think there was an element of humour in persiantraveller’s choice of words…

What may be mainstream for some can be considered exotic by others – all things are relative and one of the beauties of the English language is how flexible it can be. Greater wordsmiths than me on this forum may be able to express this better.

But his/her post made me chuckle. After all having a neighbour on a flight is not always the worst thing in the world and can make for fabulous and insightful “inflight entertainment”. I have made good friends on flights who I have kept in touch with for many years and I hope and suspect many more.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Tks ‘sparkyflyer’ and well understood -I can get a little intense at times -just retied – too much time until I start a new business in a months time !

stevescoots
    Participant

I have a window fetish, because I am anti social and dislike most of my fellow flyers lol

hyphen33
    Participant

It is not surprising that the powers that be in the ruling Royal Family of Qatar finally had enough of former CEO al-Bakar’s antics and had him pushed out.

cwoodward
    Participant

……now if the British Royal family owned BA….

alainboy56
    Participant

@stevescoots

I can indeed relate to that too…….

2 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

@hyphen33

Despite what we, in perhaps the western world way of thinking about AAB surmise, I have done some homework with Qatari businessmen/contacts and we seem to be all wrong. His move was considered by them to be a promotion.
    Running an airline is apparently not as high level as being a Minister in Foreign Affairs. For example the new QR CEO is the ex CEO of the airport, so again if we ‘translate’ this to European levels, it does make sense (can anyone imagine that useless inept numpty who has just retired as CEO of LHR after years of demonstrating his absolute inability to run an airport, being made a Minister in the Foreign Office) …………….?

AAB is not Royal family, and normally all Ministers are from that echelon, so perhaps I do now start to understand.
    He is also not pure Qatari, being of Iranian/Indian descent so this is also a good promotion for this guy – I am also told his Arabic whilst perfect is heavily accented by the latter parent, namely his mother, so perhaps his excellent English skills will be utilised in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to negotiate/discuss policy matters, which if anyone who studies ME politics will know is rightly or wrongly, completely out of step with all others in the GCC.

5 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Sat on a JV board in Doha for a few years which was chaired by Al Baker. Driven and not to be messed with.

Eng. Badr is a totally different character and well placed for this role in my view.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls