Qatar Airways B787 Dreamliner Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

RobertSanders
    Participant

We travelled from Singapore to Doha in a 777-300 which was hard to fault, the troubles started in Doha when we landed as we were held in the bus for sometime by the aircraft, we spent what seemed like ages travelling in the bus to the terminal, all was good in the terminal & we went out to the bus again & took ages to get to our aircraft.

We boarded the aircraft a B787 to Heathrow & found our seats, they were pushed up so close that I could not put my tray table down to eat,

I am not all that large & my knees were touching the seat in front, this plane did not exhibit the Qatar business model at all & the trip was to me a nightmare, it says on the B787 specs that 250 people are a max load & Qatar says it fits 206 people on board, this plane was not set up for long haul travel,it will make me think twice about travelling with Qatar in the future.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello RobertSanders

Thank you for the interesting check. I imagine you were booked in economy class ? If so then it confirms that a 3-3-3 layout on the B787 is tight, to say the least, and especially so with a seat pitch of 31 ins.

You would find the B777-300ER to be superior in economy class because, although the seating is also 3-3-3, the B777 has a wider body so passengers have more sideways space and the aisles would (I would imagine) be wider too. Also the B777-300ER’s seat pitch is superior at 33 ins.

According to seatplans.com Qatar Airways’ B787 accommodates 254 passengers with 22 in business and 232 in economy class.

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Qatar-Airways/seatplans/B787-Dreamliner-4

sparkyflier
    Participant

This is a very interesting flight report, especially regarding the 787 seating.

This matches what I have heard from people I have known who have flown on the 9 across 3-3-3 seating, and that it is very tight indeed, one friend descibing the seating as “horrendous”, and could not wait to get off.

This is notable as he is very slim, indeed a male “waif”!

andystock
    Participant

I will avoid the Dreamliner in economy at all costs. the QA 777 economy product is very good.
    I recently used Cathay Pacific from LHR to HK on the 777 with the new economy seating in 3-3-3 which was equally as good as QA 777.

superchris
    Participant

Ive flown the dreamliner twice, albeit on short hops between DXB and Doha just to burn some miles and take a look. Went out business (although on a short hop they sold it as first) and back in economy. The business product was stunning on an a par (IMHO) with BA first. The economy seat was shocking. so narrow and tight, even for a 40 minute flight. I would avoid it at all costs on a long haul.

I love however QR’s configuration in the 777. Spacious in all cabins.

newbieflyer
    Participant

With all the above discussion, I am now dreading my 12 hour hop to CAN next week, on the CZ 787, Y Class.
    First time on the 787, though.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Good luck with that newbie, and let us know your findings!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Newbieflyer – Depending on how busy the flight is you may find you have an empty seat or seats next to you. Please let us know how you get on. Thank you.

newbieflyer
    Participant

Thanks Sparkyflyer, Alex.
    Yes, i shall try and write a report after the trip.
    Alex, i am aiming to get either of row 51,52 or 53 (2-4-2), since we are travelling as a couple and I seem to like the space that you get besides your seat.
    Unfortunately, you can only get it on the day of the flight. So aiming to be at the airport early enough to grab them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls