Qatar Airways 777ER Seat Configuration

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Ahmad
    Participant

I am booked on QR 643 Singapore to Doha on 24 Feb. The Business Cabin is only showing 4 rows instead of the usual 7. I have checked seatplans, seatguru, seatexpert, flatseats and Qatar’s own website for this configuration but can’t see it anywhere. Checkmytrip and Qatar Airways Manage Your Booking both have the seatplan but they don’t provide any further details of the configuration. Is anyone familiar with this particular configuration? Any advice on choosing the best seat seat would be appreciated. Generally on Qatar 777’s I choose rows 2 or 3 window since (particularly on the 777-200LR or 77L) there is ample room between seats and one doesn’t have to climb over the passanger in the aisle seat.

first_class_please
    Participant

There are 4 rows, then a galley, then 3 further rows, making a total of 7 rows over 2 cabins.

Personally I prefer E or F aisle seat to ensure nobody has to even attempt to get past me.

EternalExpat
    Participant

I am pretty sure this particular configuration is the same as the service between Doha and Manila when the 777ER is employed (QR 646/647). There are indeed only four rows of business class seats in the usual 2-2-2 layout. The seat with all its features is identical to the one on the 777ER from London to Doha where there are seven rows as first_class_please points out correctly. Personally, I usually opt for 2A as it gives a great sense of privacy plus the seat is far enough away from the galley and toilet. With only 24 business class seats in total, I have found the level of service to be impeccable on this particular type.

Ahmad
    Participant

Thank you first_class_please, that is the configuration I have always seen on Qatar and shows on my outbound flight to Singapore on a 777L. I got puzzled when the seat-plan for my return flight only showed 4 rows and I couldn’t find the correct seat-plan anywhere.

Many thanks for your response ExternalExpat. It clears this up. As it happens, I have also opted for 2A on this flight! It is heartening to note that there will be only 24 seats in business class on that flight so the bus transfer at Doha would be more comfortable than with the usual 40 odd. I will make it a point to note the service with a view to posting the details here upon my return.

first_class_please
    Participant

Good to know. I have noticed lately the likes of seat guru etc don’t seem to be too up to date with the likes of QR and EK vat fleets and refits.

EternalExpat
    Participant

Glad I could shed some light on this, Ahmad AR. In fact, I have this morning booked flights on my usual LHR-MNL run for June and the said Manila leg shows the typical four row only configuration. I have found the bus transfer to be very speedy no matter what aircraft type, but with the 24-seat business class configuration you sometimes get the executive club style busses. Incidentally, QR is offering a promotional fare from the UK to Area 3, most of SEA I believe. I paid £1875 all-in, Sunday rule, £100 change before or after departure and £150 cancellation fee. Tickets must be issued by February 14, valid through December 13 with July 16 to August 10 being exempt. Excellent value for money by my reckoning.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Rest assured that Business Traveller and seatplans.com are well aware of the different business class layout of certain of QR’s B777-300ERs.

We have contacted the airline on numerous occasions to obtain the relevant 4 row seating plan but, so far, QR has been unable to supply us with one.

Indeed if you visit the fleet page on qatarairways.com and click on “Boeing 777-300ER” you will be directed to seatguru.com where you will see the seven row layout mentioned by the OP.

Alex McWhirter

qatarsteve
    Participant

Qatar have configured their 3 most recently delivered new 777-300ER’s with the 24 business class seats. These are A7-BAP, A7-BAS and A7-BAX. They may well do the same to the 4 that they currently have on order. I seem to remember seeing something a year or so ago that this would happen on some of the Asia routes – Manilla and possibly Bangkok.

Ahmad
    Participant

Alex I notice that the seatplans commentary on Qatar 777 ER does not mention any other configuration. It may be a good idea to do so even if the actual seat map is not available.

Qatarsteve, thank you very much for your input I will try to look for the aircraft registration mark, although at Singapore it may not be that easy as, most likely, we will be boarding via an avio-bridge. I am heartened to learn that it will most probably be a brand new arircraft. Don’t know about you, but I feel safer in newer aircraft and the ‘new car’ feel is always a bonus !

qatarsteve
    Participant

AhmadAR, I know what you mean and feel the same, although the current 787 problems seem to blow the theory a bit!!!
    I am due to fly the qatar 787 in Feb and was really looking forward to it, now I am sort of hoping for a 777. Things change quickly!!

Ahmad
    Participant

Quite right qatarsteve. I have always been wary of new models though. Only started travelling on the 380 last year. In cars too, I never buy a major model change until at least its second year when all teething problems have been ironed out. As I wrote in another thread, you won’t see me on a 787 anytime soon and that was before they were grounded.

donkeyasia
    Participant

I arrived in Hong Kong last night on QR 816 from Doha. Usual excellent service in a 50% full cabin. The plane was a 330. Behind first class which incidentally had not been refurbished with the latest IFE screen; was a single row -10. Extremely claustrophobic. I had no trouble changing to the main cabin, but would have been frustrated and concerned if I had not been able to do so. I travel regularly from JFK-HKG and only the JFK-DOH leg has the 777-ER on every leg. to date DOH has never been anything other than a A330, of different configurations. the HKG flight is never full unlike those to Bangkok, manila and other Chinese destinations. a lot of competition but QR still has the best value fares in all classes especially business. I agree with all on the 787, so my Feb 3rd return from DOH-LHR is likely to be a change of plane. Hopefully not another A340-600, which is getting very tired.

KSHaggag
    Participant

QR has been operating the oldish A332s on rge HKG route for a number of years and I don t understand why HKG is almost the ONLY destination in Asia ( longhaul ) still left in the cold with that tired oldish product ..no wonder it is never full ( the business cabin ) …customers would not pay for such a product ..even if a bit more expensive on other carriers ,that will be indeed well justified ….no comparison between the old A332 standards and the 777-300ER or 777-200LR s …seems QR is not interested in boosting its revenues on that leg specifically ……….maybe with their adherence to Oneworld ,they will feel the need to link DOH to HKG ( a major Oneworld hub ) with a decent product ..even more if CX feels tempted to extend one of its rotations to DXB or BAH up to DOH ,leveraging the real Oneworld alliance synergies …DOH is indeed a small market for CX but a short hop from BAH or DXB on an existing route might be well justified ..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls