Qantas: Spirit of Australians

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Alasdair
    Participant

What a lot of rubbish! Spirit of Australians… all there are on flights to London now are dour English crew employed in the UK. It is a cost saving move which has ruined the Qantas brand image on this very important route for them. Also, non-Australians are employed in their droves as part of cost cutting objectives between Australia and Asia, lessening the extent to which it is “Austalian.” I get Australia is multi-cultural, but I also get that the Ad is perfunctory drivel aimed at filling the coffers of shareholders and board members alike.
    Qantas was always a great airline, and indeed, whenever I fly them now the entertainment, food and (Australian based) crew, are far more pleasant than a lot of other offerings out there. But for how long this will last under such ruthless management is not clear.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fact is Alasdair, Qantas have to find savings somewhere especially as their main business is point to point, unlike QR. LX etc. However there is no excuse if management do not train the staff properly and bring them up to International standards.

It’s also a fact that the majority of travelers are looking for the best deals, even in premium classes, and so costs have to be pared in order to survive. Not many will pay a 25%+ premium just to fly “nostalgia”.

rferguson
    Participant

The last time Qantas recruited within the UK for London based crew was 3.5 years ago. Around one third of the London based Cabin Crew are ‘dour english’.

Since then crew have been ‘seconded’ from the OZ/NZ bases for two year stints. This is as Qantas does not want to be seen to be recruiting outside Australia while they cull staff within their home country.

Having viewed their cabin training simulator at Hammersmith i’d say their training facilities are pretty much second to none as well. Certainly among the non-asian/ME carriers.

They also have the ability to do additional courses in for example wine knowledge. In fact I wish that we had their kind of Customer Service training at BA.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Nice campaign, fresh and imaginative.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls