Qantas ‘project sunrise’ nonstop from SYD to LHR – a worthwhile investment ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Rferguson2
    Participant

Apologies Cwoodward I should have been more specific.

The 6F/54J/24W/155Y config is for the brand new aircraft to be delivered and will replace their 777-300’s. (the diagram is available on the excellent aerolopa website).

The 777-300’s they are replacing are in an equally low capacity config at 8/49/40/147.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

echo3#5 welcome to the forum.

cwoodward
    Participant

I found this piece particularly interesting re the A350-1000 features.

https://simpleflying.com/inside-japan-airlines-airbus-a350-1000-new-unique-features/

superchris
    Participant

To me it was always a solution looking for a problem.

A flight to Oz is a massive hit on the body and the loss of a 2 hour layover doesnt change that and in many ways makes it worse.

Perhaps the OP has answered his own question and the real win for QF has been 5 years of PR content and a reminder that Australia is a long way away and care needs to be taken to fly right.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Londonsteve
    Participant

Can a regular on the Kangaroo route explain the appeal of a non-stop flight? I’m based in the UK and I’ve never flown to Oz, but, it strikes me that the flying times are so long and the jet lag so bad, there’s virtually nothing to be gained from flying non-stop, beyond a lack of opportunity to get off the plane for a stroll around an airport at the half-way point. Who is so short of time that when undertaking such a marathon journey, they’d rather stay in the air and disembark 3 hours early while also being unable to avail themselves of the comfort and spaciousness of the A380 and forced to pay whatever ultra premium pricing that QF will demand.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

Particularly for those in economy I think the stop in (say) Singapore is vital to allow for stretching the legs and avoiding DVT…

cwoodward
    Participant

Will Qantas ‘blink’ re this ego project of ex CEO Alan Joseph Joyce…..possibly I suspect.

Rferguson2
    Participant

@Londonsteve.

I guess it would appeal to anyone not wanting the hassle of a stop on the way, especially one where you either have to change flights and risk a misconnect.

Even the QF2 London – Singapore – Sydney, during the stop in Singapore you need to get off, take all your belongings with you and then clear security again in SIN before continuing on to SYD. For someone like me, that is a bonus, get off and stretch my legs. But not everyone is in the same boat.

Friends that work for Qantas tell me the non stop Perth – London flights are HUGELY popular. Having flown this route a couple times it seems to be extremely popular with certain demographics. 1) business people and 2) the elderly many of whom travel rarely but in premium cabins. There is a large amount of elderly people living in the UK with their children/grandkids in Australia (or vice versa) and I guess the children of these elderly people feel more at ease knowing their parent will simply get on the plane in London and off in Perth where their kids will meet them. It can be a daunting and exhausting experience travelling to Australia as a young(ish) able bodied person. I guess if I was in a situation where I lived in Perth and my mum in her 80’s was coming to visit I would 100% strongly suggest she travel on the direct flight.

I think the non stops to SYD and MEL will see a similar demographic for the same reasons.

Henryp1
    Participant

Very much looking forward to the opportunity to try the non stop flights. I hope it will make sleeping easier to plan without the changes in the ME or Singapore.

If this saves 3 hours, that’s terrific, the arrival time will be the main factor to consider, as early morning arrivals can be challenging to manage. As we travel monthly with busy days on arrival anything to make the journey easier is appreciated.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls