Qantas Perth-London non-stop flight delayed 17 hours

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Passengers will have paid a premium for the non-stop service. (Fares tend be higher for non-stop rather than with indirect services)

Yet, because of a disruptive passenger, the London-bound flight had to turn back and return to Perth.

It eventually departed Perth for London some 17 hours late.

According to the report Qantas took care of the delayed passengers. But they wouldn’t be able to make a later claim under EU261 as they were taking a non-EU airline to the EU.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-09/qantas-plane-returns-to-perth-with-disruptive-passenger/10219044

https://www.news.com.au/national/western-australia/qantas-nonstop-flight-qf9-from-perth-to-london-turned-back-due-to-disruptive-passenger/news-story/8dc387ec3f09a889afad7f201f84aa4d

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/qantas-flight-turned-back-to-perth-after-unruly-passenger-abuses-cabin-crew/news-story/4e3306a552a4c4ebec3f25c110b76ffc

Flightlevel
    Participant

Ofcourse an unusual event at those prices, however 17 hour flight goes to 21 hours!
    Apart from the additional IFE a long trip and the lounge or terminal at SIN on a stopover looks more rewarding?
    Maybe it will become commonplace ‘though think I’d prefer the stopover?

EU_Flyer
    Participant

In fairness to Qantas this was outside their control. Points to consider though:

1. Crew were out of hours so flight had to be delayed 17 hours for new 787 crew to be sent to Perth. Highlights current limitation of Perth as a hub?

2. Also highlights limitation of needing to have crews able to operate a 17 hour sector within the regulations.

I’m not a fan of these ultra long haul flights because they’re stretching human resources and safety to the limit. 17 hours in economy isn’t healthy for anyone. Unless you have an all Business and Premium Economy layout like SQ, these types of flights are a human error waiting to happen.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=887585]I’m not a fan of these ultra long haul flights because they’re stretching human resources and safety to the limit. 17 hours in economy isn’t healthy for anyone. Unless you have an all Business and Premium Economy layout like SQ, these types of flights are a human error waiting to happen.[/quote]

I would agree. Can you imagine flying SYD-Europe non-stop as Qantas wants to do provided Airbus/Boeing can develop the right aircraft.

There are many non-stop flights now operating between the Gulf and N America. Hardly a week goes by without at least one of these flights being diverted (with the consequences of delays/missed connex) for a medical emergency.

In 2015 Arabian Business reported that these medical diversions were costing Emirates many millions of US dollars.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/flights-diverted-for-medical-emergencies-cost-emirates-12m-over-last-2-years-588233.html

MarkivJ
    Participant

The longest I did on j class was DOH-ORD (on QR’s excellent QSuites) and yet felt I was being stretched already! So yeah, no thanks to these 16-17hr fights.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=887587]There are many non-stop flights now operating between the Gulf and N America. Hardly a week goes by without at least one of these flights being diverted (with the consequences of delays/missed connex) for a medical emergency.[/quote]

Alex, that’s very interesting indeed and your point about the viability of non stop eg SYD-LHR is so true. As MarkivJ says, those super long flights are exhausting even in business class.

I also wonder what will happen if there is another global downturn and the airlines can’t fill these direct services due to lack of demand. Will they be forced to revert to the hub system but with aircraft (such as the 787 vs A380) not big enough to capitalise on limited slots.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I have a different view and like nonstop flight very much. I took several nonstop 17+ hours flight in A340 long ago and recently in A350, all in SQ.
    These flights significantly reduced my jet lag as I followed destination time right after boarding the flight and went to sleep or didn’t sleep until time.
    Of course I travelled business class and these type of flight shall have only business and premium economy.
    The 3-4 hours savings are preferable to many and that is why one can see these flights are reasonably full from NY, LA and San Francisco.
    This Qantas incident is not Airlines fault and need to be considered as one-off.
    I have no heard any issue with SQ flights during A340 days or now.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=887695]

I have no heard any issue with SQ flights during A340 days or now.[/quote]

As others have noted SIA was wise enough never to offer normal economy seating when its A340-500s operated non-stop to the USA. And it will be the same when its ultra long-range A350s enter service from SIN to LAX/EWR.

I did wonder why Qantas persisted with a normal economy cabin for PER-LHR non-stop.

And then it was pointed out to me that the same B787s are to be deployed on Qantas’ non-stop transpacific flights to the US West Coast.

capetonianm
    Participant

I dread the thought of a 17 hour flight, even in C. The 11 or so hours between EU and ZA is about my limit, although I accept that is partly psychological.

We are going to JP, AU and NZ next year and I am looking for good ways to break it up. I won’t fly via the ME, so it looks as if JL might be a good option, followed by CX although I am not really interested in stopping in HKG.

It seems odd to me that people would pay extra for non-stop, although I suppose the speed is the ‘bonus’ but I would expect to pay less for 17 hours stuck in a seat with no break and no fresh air.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I travelled last year SIN-SFO-SIN nonstop. Although travelled business class but to stretch myself I did walk across economy. Both times I noted economy passengers (these are about 15 hours flight) were reasonably happy and content enjoying food/drinks/IFE. The key is good onboard products and service. SQ is of course unbeatable in economy class service.
    ME Airlines copied most elements of SQ and that’s why they’re successful in economy class and they are better than USA or European airlines. If Qantas want to succeed in nonstop long haul they need need to adopt SQ or ME Airlines model.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Capetonianm,
    Contrary to popular belief, the air inside modern jets are not that bad. The air is circulated via special filters and also mixed with about 50% fresh sucked during flight.

capetonianm
    Participant

I know that, but the fact remains that even after a short flight I feel the lack of real air, and after a long one it’s grim!

I suspect that since they banned smoking on flights the problem might have got worse as the air filters are not changed as much, on the other hand it might be my imagination as Anno Domini takes its toll.

Henryp1
    Participant

I don’t mind the ultra long haul flights and looking forward to AKL-DOH very soon, the only bother I seem to worry about, is if the cabin will be too hot. As Inquisitive noted is the importance of adapting to the time zones promptly and also travelling with a partner/companion.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=887743]I don’t mind the ultra long haul flights and looking forward to AKL-DOH very soon, the only bother I seem to worry about, is if the cabin will be too hot. As Inquisitive noted is the importance of adapting to the time zones promptly and also travelling with a partner/companion.[/quote]

Good point on the time zone. ULH in Business is fine but sadly only 1/4 of the seat are Business. Being stuck in Economy if you’re over 6 foot is quite painful !

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=887743]I don’t mind the ultra long haul flights and looking forward to AKL-DOH very soon, the only bother I seem to worry about, is if the cabin will be too hot. As Inquisitive noted is the importance of adapting to the time zones promptly and also travelling with a partner/companion.[/quote]

My apologies to Henryp1 – I accidentally clicked Report instead of Reply. No Report intended !!

Me bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls