QANTAS P & J PRODUCTS

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• djwill74
    Participant

url
    Good Morning everyone, first time posting but very much a loyal fan to all you traveller gurus x
    I am a FA LHR BASE and I would love if the company could elevate our product in both P & J CLASS. I feel that we are missing a trick….(compared to the middle east carriers)…..I’m not looking to be based…..as I do plenty of that myself….but was hoping for mature feedback?

ASK1945
    Participant

This is a mature reply (and not a commercial forum) – and I haven’t a clue what you are talking about, with all your initials and the absence of the url.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Not entirely sure and dissecting a few typos and abbreviations/acronyms there I think the OP is a London based Flight Attendant with Qantas and wanting some input on improving their premium products?

I am not sure what ‘I’m not looking to be based’ means. Perhaps biased?

Anyway, if it is about what I THINK it is lol.

Getting a western legacy carrier on the same level as a Middle Eastern carrier will always be a challenge. I doubt QANTAS (nor KLM or Lufthansa or Air France or United) would have anywhere near say the catering budget of Qatar or Emirates. Likewise, Emirates or Qatar doesn’t have to worry about things such as paying into pensions, unions, supporting employees on long terms sick or maternity leave that western carriers are responsible for. The middle eastern carriers also usually have incredible levels of government support – guaranteeing loans for new aircraft, building mega airports that operate 24/7,

So this already leads to a double gain for the Middle Eastern carriers – more crew onboard and better food and beverage on the whole as well as the ability to operate from fairly unrestricted 24/7 hubs where almost everything is ‘in house’.

I think Qantas is fairly good as far as western carriers go. They usually have friendly and professional crew and I like their seats. Two issues I would definitely improve as armchair CEO is the quality and presentation of food in the premium cabin and the amount of time it takes to deliver.

7 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Taken from a quick Google search….

“Based is a slang term that originally meant to be addicted to crack cocaine (or acting like you were), but was reclaimed by rapper Lil B for being yourself and not caring what others think of you; to carry yourself with swagger”.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Decades ago (in the 1980s?) I remember reading printed longhaul flight schedules where “P” referred to first class. In which case QF ROO’s “P & J CLASS” would probably refer to first and business class.

cwoodward
    Participant

P and J defiantly refer to First and Business classes. ‘J’ is a terminology haps a young used for Business Class by Cathay and other Asian carriers for many years and I am sure from the distant past that P used to signify First.

I agree almost entirely with Rferguson2 view and would only add that I see here perhaps a young enthusiastic FA who wants to make a difference- which is to be admired.
    Qantas is never going be more than it now aspires to be and the sandpit carriers are not a model to be followed by others as they are not designed as stand alone businesses that could ever make money or even survive.
    As Rf2 mentions the best Asian carriers are a model that works and that consumers like perhaps consider a change of airline would be a possible way forward in the mid term. Several have London bases and and may be a better bet for advancement. I know that Cathay at least were looking for London based English speaking FAs recently.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

P and J defiantly refer to First and Business classes. ā€˜Jā€™ is a terminology used for Business Class by Cathay and other Asian carriers for many years and I am sure from the distant past that P used to signify First.

I agree almost entirely with Rferguson2 view and would only add that I see here perhaps a young enthusiastic FA who wants to make a difference- which is to be admired.
    Qantas is never going be more than it now aspires to be and the sandpit carriers are not a model to be followed by others as they are not designed as stand alone businesses that could ever make money or even survive.
    As Rf2 mentions the best Asian carriers are a model that works and that consumers like perhaps consider a change of airline would be a possible way forward in the mid term. Several have London bases and and may be a better bet for advancement. I know that Cathay at least were looking for London based English speaking FAs recently.

FDOS
    Participant

I think it likely that the OP means premium economy (P) and business (J).

Having tried both, albeit 5 years ago, I thought their P was excellent and the J competitive with European carriers.

RFerguson sums it up well, IMO.

ASK1945
    Participant

“I think it likely that the OP means premium economy (P) and business (J)”

Since DJWill74 posted their poorly worded first (“shouting”) all capitals request more than 24 hours ago, a number of regular (long-standing) forum members have speculated on what the OP meant.

Why don’t we just wait for him/her to tell us?

1 user thanked author for this post.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I think the one thing the OP could do when working in the Qantas premium product areas is offer the best possible levels of service possible. This includes anticipatory service (knowing instinctively what customers will want before they even know it themselves, like a hot towel when they wake in the morning, or a surprise glass of fizz with breakfast), or other actions which surprise and delight customers. I’ve had some personal welcomes in written form on planes, or thank you notes before landing for placing my business with XYZ airline. I’ve had crew ask if I’d like my preferred gin & tonic before a meal (clearly noted in my profile with a carrier). It is often those little things that can make a difference.
    Customers will appreciate it, and leave the aircraft with a positive feeling for the carrier.

theflyingnurse
    Participant

If this post has been written by a Qantas flight attendant, I am extremely concerned by the poor standard of written English. It doesn’t reassure me at all with regards to safety procedures and how these could perhaps be affected by miscommunication.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

On first read, I thought the OP was asking about pyjama provision on overnight flights.

cwoodward
    Participant

It is very possible that English is not the first language of our correspondent thus I would be loth to rush to any judgement re the ‘written English”. I am very dyslectic and although I have improved over the years ‘spell check’ is a godsend to me.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Completely agree with you cwoodward.

I have a feeling djwill74 will not be back to clarify their post.

I guess the lesson is, before you hit ‘submit reply’ have a quick read through what you’ve just typed. God knows I still when in a rush or posting on the go haphazardly hit that ‘submit reply’ button and then hours later when reading the post realise it makes little sense.

FDOS
    Participant

Come on guys, this isn’t Flyertalk, let’s not be snarky šŸ™

Would it be a suprise if the OP decided to abstain from further comment, after this pile on?

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls