Qantas makes first loss in 17 years

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

• feijitong
    Participant

In many respects, QF and EK are very similar and would make a good match. Both have decent planes (at least in J and above – the 10 seats across on the EK 777s are rough), decent food, etc. People who fly occasionally will be happy because on average things are fine (as indeed they were with Varig which had great wine, food and a lot of experienced staff serving their planes) and they do not see the darkside of poor customer service, weak irregular ops and everything else that has declined. I have two Emerald cards at the moment and have had up to 3 simultaneously. The reason I like OW is the customer service and support for frequent travellers. One can be in denial about how bad QF has got but the only way to win back premium customers like me will be specific improvements in the customer experience and I don’t see any of these.

FrequentPR
    Participant

It will be interesting to see if QANTAS’ next six monthly financial results are even more of a disaster.

The airline’s management (Mr Joyce) is now involved in a ‘Clayton’s battle” (the ‘battle you have when you’re not having one) with former CEO Mr geoff Dixon and other potential takeover merchants including adman Mr John Singleton and venture capitalist Mr Mark carnegie of Sydney. So far it’s more been a public slanging match than any actual bid, but the second group questions QANTAS’ strategy.

Surely with QANTAS’ massive overheads, high costs of unionised staff and continual truncation of its route network the next set of results will be just as bad as previously.

Today I looked at a flight from Melbourne to Canberra. This B737 was timetabled to sit on the ground in MEL for an hour and 45 minutes and then 45 minutes in CBR. This is on a premium route with Members of Parliament travelling en masse at skyhigh fares and no cometition from LCC Tiger Airways or QANTAS’ own offshoot Jetstar – only Virgin Australia alos flies the route – yet QF has its aircraft sitting around doing nothing for much longer periods than the more efficient full service airliens and LCCs.

TominScotland
    Participant

FrequentPR, Qantas should have grabbed the chance to learn from BA. I am flying Glasgow – Gatwick this morning. The aircraft (likewise a 737) is scheduled to be on the ground for 35 minutes here and, given that it is due to arrive in some 10-15 minutes early, may well also leave ahead of schedule. Leagacy airlines can also do fast turn round……

Jimmywright
    Participant

FrequentPR, your example is not indicative of the fleet utilisation of Qantas domestic aircraft. 45 minute turnarounds for 737’s are the norm not 1:45. There will have been a specific reason why the a/c you got sat in Melbourne for so long. Do you know where the a/c that operated MEL/CBR sector came from?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls