Qantas flights between Bangkok & Hong Kong in the 90’s

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

BA744fan
    Participant

This is a real long shot but maybe someone can help me.

In 1993 I flew from Bangkok to Hong Kong on Qantas.

In 1994 I did the return journey.

I have both boarding passes and they show I sat in 75J & 74B respectively.

I thought both planes were 767s but no 767 has ever had 75 rows as far as I know. I then checked Qantas seat maps for the 747. These have 75 rows but the only seats are in the mid section D-G.

I know this is a business forum but maybe someone knows what plane I was on to have got the seat numbers listed?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Never ventured quite that far back, but Qantas 767-300s certainly did fly almost exclusively HKG-BKH on a regular basis over that period and indeed I would fly them quite a bit on business. The flight usually came up from Singapore, if my memory serves me correctly. Today 767 seating stops at row 55, though it is not impossible that seats 74 and 75 did exist to cover any interchange with 747s, that often flew between HK and Oz.

Hello BA744fan

A blast from the past:

http://airlineroute.net/2009/11/27/qf-94intl/

I have never been on a 767 with such outrageous seat numbers!

Your query is very puzzling indeed!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Try http://www.airliners.net the anoraks there will no doubt relish the challenge!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Airlines don’t always use all the numbers. CX business cabins always start at row 11, even if it is only a two-class configuration, for example – presumably to make it easier for staff to “place” pax on the aircraft regardless of type. Similarly economy always starts at row 30. A CX 747 has rows 1-4, 11- 17, 30-36, 44-69, and on the upper deck 80-92 – but in fact only 55 rows!

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

I too flew that route. The routing was Australia-HKG-BKK-Australia and vice-versa.

QF only flew 767s on that route. So you were on a 767. In the mid to late 90s, QF did change its seat numbering system on its international aircraft (both 747 and 767). I don’t have anything at hand that shows the earlier config, but I’m sure someone does.

frdv1964
    Participant

I flew that route once, I believe it was in 1989, or 1990.

What I am sure of, though, is that it was in a 744; I was seated in business class on the main deck. Unfortunately I don’t remember seat numbers… Since I keep all my boarding passes, I should have this one, too… somewhere deep in a box. I’ll have a quick look tonight and if I find it, I’ll let you know.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

At that time QF would use 767 for that local regional route. The 747s would operate between Europe, Asia and Australia.

BA744fan
    Participant

All the research I have done tells me it was a 767, which is why I am so curious why my boarding passes had me sitting in rows 74 & 75 on flights 7 months apart.

If it had been in and out within a day or two I would put it down to a change of equipment.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this.

frdv1964
    Participant

OK, so here goes: I did find my flight itinerary and my boarding pass: QF78 from HKG to BKK, I was in seat 10A, J class, on June 4, 1989! Itinerary mentions everything except type of plane… We’re so used to having all details nowadays on e-tickets that we tend to forget how the old “paper” tickets looked like, and what information they showed… Anyway as I only ever took that particular QF flight that one time, I am still quite certain I was sitting in a 747-200 or a 744! I even remember we were late leaving HKG and I barely made my connecting flight to LHR…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The clue to the plane type is when you mentioned “connecting flight to LHR.”

As mentioned above, QF’s operated B767s within Asia at a time when its kangaroo route passenger traffic was under threat from the Asian carriers like SQ, CX, TG etc.

The idea was that QF would better compete by feeding its Asia-Europe flights from other Asian points with HKG being a typical example.

A QF flight departing BKK for Europe would have started its mission in Australia so it wouldn’t have had a lot of empty seats to fill, hence the use of a B767.

If, on the other hand, it was a B747 (between HKG and BKK) then I can only assume that the rostered B767 could not be used on the day in question.

frdv1964
    Participant

Managed to find a Qantas timetable from the winter of 1989 in one of my old “travel” boxes!

Back then, Qantas had a weekly flight Perth-Bangkok-Hong (QF77), leaving Perth on Sunday morning at 8:30, arriving Bangkok at 14:05, and in Hong Kong at 18:40. The return flight (QF78) left Hong Kong at 20:45, arriving Bangkok at 22:20, and back in Perth at 07:00 on Monday morning. The aircraft type used for this service was a 747-200.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Was definitely a B767-300 in 1993/94 but try as i might I have not yet found a seating plan from that era.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

In April 1980 I flew from BKK-FRA with QF, a 747. It came in from JKT, as far as I remember.
    They had just introduced “Captains Club”(???, I believe to remember) their business class. There were 16 seats in the upper deck of a 747-200. The add-on on my FULL Y-fare (I was stupid back then) was 300$ for the oneway, so I didnt use it.
    Qantas had quite some inta-asian connections on offer and they had a lot of 5th freedom rights.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls