Qantas B747-400 (Config 2) Premium Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I transfered from Qantas Domestic in Sydney and, with plenty of time, made my way up to the Qantas First Lounge – much talked about so I was keen to see it for myself. The stunning thing about this Lounge is its location, long and bright overlooking the apron. After the (presumed) rush of QF1 and BA15, the place was very quiet so I settled down overlooking my departure gate (24) where a 747 was already parked but in darkness. I made a few calls and then went to the dining area for a high quality meal – warm duck breast salad, lamb cutlets and fresh fruit. I don’t drink when travelling so the extensive wine list was wasted on me.

After dinner, I settled down to do some work and was interested to note the total lack of activity around my (presumed) aircraft. My only quibble with this great lounge space is the poor quality reading material available – no so much as a copy of Time or the Economist to be had.

At about 20.45 (prior to a 21.30 departure), some activity (loading) was evident around the aircraft (good news). I had a bit of shopping to do so headed downstairs. I arried at the gate some 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure with little sense of urgency, activity or, indeed, announcements. About five minutes, up stroll the pilots – now that was good news as it might have been difficult to go without them but it seemed to be cutting things tight. Boarding commenced about five minutes later and I made my way via the Business/ PE lane (also oneworld elite card holders) to the aircraft. I was seated in 29B, the front row of PE, with reasonable legroom. However, the Cabin Manager came over soon after and, rather clumsily, requested that I move across to 29J so that two Aussie mates could sit together for the flight. Australian men are really changing – first tears at the Olympics and now this!! The Cabin Manager made a hash of relocating my bag but eventually I settled into my new seat – earlier I had looked forward to a free seat next to me but now i had a neighbour but in fact 29J is the PE seat to get as it offers much more legroom, sufficient for a fully flat bed, I guess.

We pushed back about 25 minutes behind schedule and it was ony when the captain came on that the reason for the rather lax departure routine became evident. a shortish flight was anticipated and Narita is closed until 06.00 so no point in arriving early.

Having dined in the lounge, I did not eat further on this flight although the meal offers in PE (one Japanese, one Western) both looked good. I was able to sleep really well and only woke up for the breakfast service when I just chose juice and coffee. Even with the late departure, we had to do a couple of cicuits before landing bang on 06.00, the first aircraft into a very quiet Narita.

I was off the aircraft quickly and through international transfers and off lounge hunting. No joy here as NOTHING (shops, cafes, oneworld lounges – JAL, QF, CX) opens until 07.30. So I joined what seemed a goodly number of lounge refugees wandering around, looking for somewhere to go – even public seating is sparse. Luckily, the JAL First Lounge let us in at about 07.15 – never have a shower and breakfast been so welcome!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls