Qantas A380s on HKG route from mid March

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

The Qantas A380s are due to make a return on the SYD – HKG route from Mid March
    daily as QF127/128.

This will make 4 airlines that are currently flying their A380s to Hong Kong. It would be good to also see the Lufthansa giants but that looks unlikely as the only 3 routes confirmed so far are all in the USA

2 users thanked author for this post.

stilllovethejumbo
    Participant

I couldn’t figure out who the 4 are and checked… as of now its only SQ and EK flying 380’s to HKG, with Qantas coming online that makes it 3…. am I missing something?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This shows how one airline is ramping up capacity to meet demand and hence it explains why long-haul fares can be high.

Business Class Air Fares

cwoodward
    Participant

still -the one that you are missing is a Asian mid size airline…

Woodpecker
    Participant

Pre covid BA’s double daily flights LHR-HKG were an A380 & 787.

SQ used to have A380’s on three of their seven daily services SIN-HKG, and EK also had three A380s daily plus a 777. Korean Air I think also had one A380 daily.

So yes, Quantas’ A380 is a welcome boost, and I look forward to BA, SQ & EK going back to the pre covid frequency.

Thanks Cwoodward for the updates.

cwoodward
    Participant

The forth airline regularly flying the A380 into HKG is Asiana.

It was good to see Swiss again flying their B777 into HKG yesterday. It looked to be a newish aircraft and the livery sparkled in the sunshine.

The airport was buzzing yesterday and on the FlightRadar screen aircraft were needing to hold for a landing slot although 2 runways operating. its a long time since I have seen that.

In January Cathay increased capacity by 17% increased passengers by 28% The average bums on seats was 78% with most long-haul flights close to 100%.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flights QF127 / QF 128 are currently operated for an A330.

QF plans to bring back A380 service from October 29.

Initially five flights a week (daily except Monday and Thursday) rising to six flights a week from December 24 and to daily from January 1, 2024.

Subject to change.

cwoodward
    Participant

Actually not Alex
    Often in the past few weeks it is a 19 year old 330 on other days it is the A380. There may be a weekly pattern I am not sure.
    Prior for a couple of months it was daily the 380.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It would be later this year though cwoodward.

I did check the aircraft type and the QF website displays an A380 being rostered from October 29.

Subject to change of course.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls