Product Versus Loyalty

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• GoonerLondon
    Participant

I think it depends on the price, RaveAroundTheWorld. Ive been in just that position, but the J alternative with stop over wored as it was the same as Y direct.

But i only did that because the transit time was minimal and I could fly from my local airport, which almost made up for it.

I didn’t really enjoy it TBH – especially on the way back, when i just wanted to be home. Nothing wrong with the product (was LX ironically), but it just seemed a bit of a faff. This was confirmed the 2nd time I did it, and mis-connected. Had to back track to Paris for a new connection. And my Bag was lost! So yes, I’m afraid I’m a bit suspicious about unnecessary connections now.

So Im not sure that means im overly loyal to one carier first and foremost, but as soon as you decide you only want to fly direct, choices become more limited. And more expensive.

I’d still hope that if I didnt like the direct options though, Id try and find an alternative. I wonder if people feel trapped by the loyalty scheme, or indeed the dominance of their home airline? Furthermore, I do get the impression that people beome jaded by too much exposure to one airline and become hyper critical. We regualrly hear from crew that the worse cabin to serve in is J: F& Y pax have completely different attitudes. (apprently).

A loyalty scheme is supposed to be just that – an extra thank you. But It does seem its become, in some cases, the purpose for flying!

Henryp1
    Participant

Good subject to think about. I always travel by schedule and product and would never try to maintain loyalty if it wasn’t for schedule and product. The thought of loyalty for a product which may not suit just doesn’t work for me. Also to collect a few miles or whatever for a few pounds off is not worth my discomfort.

But then I firmly believe that frequent flyer status in terms of membership should be based on spend and not miles or journeys. This would be far easier to enjoy membership and protect the integrity of the club.

Morning Gooner

My ‘home’ airline wouldn’t get me very far! So for years I have been flying via several of the European hubs.

Quite simply, I prefer using a variety of airlines and so it is difficult to achieve FF status. And I can quite happily live without the perks!

SimonS1
    Participant

I pick the schedule and price that works for me. Living near Gatwick that sometimes means using a European hub or Dubai in preference to a hike round to Heathrow.

Any perks are a bonus.

I don’t find the concept of loyalty works by well in the airline industry – as we have seen on a number of threads recently airlines will take advantage of your loyalty but when things go wrong and you need to change schedule or a flight gets cancelled that loyalty is rarely reciprocated.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Product/comfort and tiers/points aren’t mutually exclusive desires. As many know on here, I have been loyal to CX for many years, although this year my loyalty has been severely tested. So now that Finnair have fully-flat beds to HK, I have booked a couple of return flights with them. And although I don’t expect the product to be as good as CX, plus I have a short-haul sector, it is a lot cheaper, I expect to get quite sufficient comfort overall and some decent sleep – but I will still get status points and miles with CX as oneworld includes both. So I am compromising somewhat in order to save money, but I will actually get just as many points (in fact, slightly more, I think)

Bath_VIP
    Participant

As a number of you have mentioned, I think “loyalty” is a misnomer. It probably originated from supermarkets who I think were the first to call such schemes “loyalty” schemes. The correct word is “incentive” i.e. airlines are trying numerous ways to incentivise you to use their services.

I feel the comments regarding quality are missing the point a bit here. To me, the majority of business classes will meet the requirements of providing a comfortable travel experience. The fact that some are better than others is purely a relative concept if the airlines being compared meet the absolute requirement of comfort. Once I am satisfied that my premium experience will meet my requirements of comfort, everything else becomes secondary to price.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Largely agree with Henryp1 – schedule is critical and why as now largely leisure traveller, minimising cost and maximising comfort on long haul, flying west is economy but flying east is business.

Henryp1’s other view, points should reflect spend not distance I also have no problem with other than to point out that mileage accrual is now to the passenger who flies but, if Henry’s approach is followed, I would suggest mileage should accrue to “Who Pays” and this is fairly infrequently the business passenger who flies!

canucklad
    Participant

I used to think there was merit, but more and more it’s became clear that these programmers should be called ” Enticement” schemes.

It seems to me that Bath_VIP is right. We are rewarded with points and lovely shiny cards but when real loyalty is required back we are treated just like a number in a less than exclusive club.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

ca. 20+ free flights through avios, is a good measure of the airline showing loyalty to me… and yes it does make up for the outdated business class cabin…

I just wish that loyalty extended to a respectful Customer Relations department – but all in all, I can certainly live with the loyalty rewards given by BA…. The route schedule suits me down to a T!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls