Problems with BA e-store shopping Avios

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• usflyer
    Participant

Is anyone else having trouble with getting avios awarded when shopping from the online BA e-store? I have made numerous purchases over the past six months – most of which have not shown in my account – and have then wasted hours filing claims for missing avios. Eventually, MONTHS later some are awarded and others aren’t despite the fact that I now keep my own written records of my purchases through the site because I don’t trust BA’s IT… I don’t think their tracking systems work properly…and there is no way to escalate any complaints about the poor service to any management staff…

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi usflyer and thank you for sharing your experience. I was thinking to start one on the same subject but you beat me too it!

I do find the allocation of avios following shopping through their shopping portal very inconsistent.

I was going to start a thread focusing on the hotel providers where they say you can get avios – I think these are Hilton, Marriott, IHG, Accor and booking.com

If you book IHG you never get the “tracking” message saying that it has been .. tracked. Booking.com was fine as was Marriott, but Accor seems totally haphazard. Sometimes you get points, sometimes not for reasons which do not seem logical.

Other items is variable, however, there IS an email you can use to investigate the avios allocation. This is [email protected]

Accor has deprived me of the consequential thousands of avios which could have helped towards a trip, so my confidence in this portal is not high now..

Anyway with your case I hope that email address can help and you get the rightful avios.

ASK1945
    Participant

sparkyflier – thank you for your input. However, I am a bit confused about what you wrote. Were you referring to Avios or hotel points?

I have never had a problem with getting Avios points from hotels because I always pay by Amex. If I have booked directly through the hotel’s group site or even directly with the individual hotel, then I have received the loyalty points.

However, booking indirectly through a third party site (such as Hotels.com) loses the loyalty points. Last year I took this up with both IHG and Hilton as I didn’t accrue any loyalty points for 20 nights (between them) and both groups informed me that it was because I had booked through Hotels.com.The loyalty bonus comes from Hotels.com – two future free nights.

Maybe booking through BA e-store shopping Avios is counted the same way? You get the extra Avios not the loyalty points.

Or – as I wrote above, have I misunderstood you?

usflyer
    Participant

Ask1945- I am referring specifically to Avios earned when shopping online at the Ba e-store which includes many major retailers. It is nothing to do with points or Avios awarded by hotels unless purchases through the e-store from Booking.com or Hotels.com etc….
    This is purely about the technical system that BA uses which is not correctly awarding all the Avios because their or the retailer’s systems don’t seem to work properly… they try and tell customers it may be our fault because of ad blockers etc…. but then months later after they have investigated, nearly all are finally awarded..

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

ASK1945 – thank you for your query re my post. I am talking about when you first go to the BA shopping portal for BAEC members and you get avios at a given level, for example 6 per GBP1 spent when you then click through to the service provider’s website, in this case hotel providers. You still get the loyalty points for the hotels club – for example Marriott.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/retailers/marriott-international-uk

For example I used the above link and made bookings with Marriott brands at the end of last year and got my Bonvoy points within 3 days and then a few days later avios in to my BAEC. At the time it was 6 avios per GBP.

I am finding the same link inconsistent for Accor and IHG for example. Booking.com was also efficiently allocated (for a non chain hotel so no actual loyalty club for that venue), but I think Hilton and Marriot works well.

Hope that helps.

It may also be a service for UK based members only – perhaps other posters can clarify.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I would agree that the BA e-store for Avios is totally unreliable with accrual of Avios (the only reason to use the site) being entirely arbitrary.

I had a fair few points in my account and hadn’t booked anything for quite a while, so long in fact that I was at risk of losing them. I booked both train tickets and M&S socks (yes) via the site just to add a few Avios. Neither purchases have worked. I have now booked flights to Rome using Avios so at least I don’t have to worry about losing them all.

I don’t know who manages the e-store but it’s just something else to add to the frustrations related to BA & Technology.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AirMilesAndy
    Participant

usflyer – I have the same issue. Since Xmas i’d say only around a third of store purchases have tracked and shown pending points straight away (usually overnight); the rest i make sure to submit manual claims after 5 days. John Lewis, for example – have made four purchases through the store in that time and none have shown points pending despite the click-through-to-store being tracked and showing in my history.

I’m not sure it’s necessarily BA’s fault as I have previously used another reward site and in my experience the same stores that didn’t track using that one seem to be same retailers not recording purchases on the Avios store (John Lewis and Boots to name but two). On the other hand credit must go to Holland and Barrett who’ve not only recorded every purchase i’ve made successfully, but pay out the points within a few days!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls