Prague, Czech Republic on Flood Alert

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Prague experienced the most disastrous flooding in history in August 2002. Back then the waters of the Vltava River overcame the barriers and flooded thousands of homes and businesses. It’s been raining heavily for the past week and Prague is on flood alert. Flood defences are being erected and sandbags filled.

Today in Prague (Monday 3rd June 2013), schools are closed, some areas evacuated, Charles Bridge closed (was pedestrian only), metro stations in the centre are closed, some trams don’t run or are diverted. Things are still nowhere near as bad a 2002.

So if you are arriving at Prague Airport, you can still take a taxi or bus, but there’s no point taking the bus to Devicka Metro as that is closed.

I added some pictures on my blog http://www.bugadvisor.com

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Yes sorry it does affect a lot more than just Prague or the Czech Republic – but I’m living in Prague so focussed on that.

Cosmin_r
    Participant

Hello, i’m travelling tomorrow night in Prague, is it safe or i should postpone the trip? Thanks a lot!
    P.s. that means i will lose the air ticket and hotel booking, it’s a visit as tourist, and as long as every thing is closed i believe it wont worth.

stevescoots
    Participant

I am in to Praha and Pardubice next week, I remember the aftermath of the 2002 floods all to well

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Don’t worry you’ll be fine. Two out of three metro lines are open today. the trams are running. Everywhere is open – well except those places close to the river that were flooded. Still a great city to visit (or live in).

stevescoots
    Participant

I agree, love the city, been many many times over the past 13 years. don’t get back as much as I should, used to be once a month, now its down to twice a year 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls