Power problems…electricity!….in South Africa

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Large scale outages of power throughout South Africa. One 2 hour cut in the morning and one 2.5 hour cut in the evenings. This is caused by partial closure of Koeberg nuclear power station in the Western Cape for nuclear refuelling and shutdown of another fossil fuel generator elsewhere. Eskom again being blamed for the disruption. Damned nuisance.

capetonianm
    Participant

Most of South Africa was without power yesterday at various times.
    It’s not scheduled get better unless government puts in massive amounts of taxpayers’ money to Eskom, but they are already doing that with SAA

SimonS1
    Participant

I see Cyril is in London trying to drum up investment.

How many people from the Gupta/Zuma administration are facing justice….not too many.

Wait till the inevitable S&P downgrade comes and then meltdown will start.

Meanwhile latest estimates of Uncle Tony’s activities top ZAR 1 trillion.

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

Our power cut this evening was cancelled.

capetonianm
    Participant

Load shedding could last for days
    Eskom confirmed that load shedding will be downgraded to Stage 1 on Friday.
    Eskom chair and acting CEO Jabu Mabuza told a media briefing on Thursday evening that stage 1 load shedding will take place from 09:00 to 23:00 on Friday. No load shedding is expected over the weekend.

The country is rapidly declining to third world status. Remembering the way it worked before 1994, and comparing with the ongoing and worsening tragedy that it now is, makes me question the value of the benefits that ‘democracy’ have brought to the ‘previously disadvantaged’ majority, most of whom are more ‘disadvantaged’ than before.

openfly
    Participant

But….sitting here in glorious sunshine with Table Mountain in the distance, 23 degrees, clear skies and a breeze, I can tolerate a few hours without power! 😀😀

capetonianm
    Participant

Precisely, which I will be doing this time next week, probably from the terrace of the Vineyard Hote, with a glass of Stellenbosch’s finest in my hand.

capetonianm
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.
    Load shedding could last for days
    Eskom confirmed that load shedding will be downgraded to Stage 1 on Friday.
    Eskom chair and acting CEO Jabu Mabuza told a media briefing on Thursday evening that stage 1 load shedding will take place from 09:00 to 23:00 on Friday. No load shedding is expected over the weekend.

Maybe the anonymous reporter could outline what is ‘inappropriate’ about this posting?
    Or most likely not.
    Pathetic.

capetonianm
    Participant

Cyril Ramaphosa held a press conference earlier today, during which he said he was shocked by the electricity supply situation.

Some bright spark piped up : “To be shocked, you need electricity.”

BA789
    Participant

The challenges South Africa faces today were predicted years ago. There is no substitute for good governance and human capital and South Africa’s poor record on both these attributes means things will only get worse before they get better.

BA789
    Participant

Capetonian – Maybe someone hit ‘Report’ by mistake. It happens to me on the UK Daily Mail website when I want to select the Down arrow but select the Up arrow by mistake and vice-versa

capetonianm
    Participant

Maybe someone hit ‘Report’ by mistake.

Maybe, but when that happens ‘someone’ usually posts to say ‘oops’.
    There is a vindictive soul on this site who systematically ‘reports’ any of my postings with which she or he doesn’t agree, wasting the moderators’ time and just being irritating.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls