Piano Player in Concorde Lounge ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• fatbear
    Participant

As a fairly infrequent visitor to the Concorde Lounge in T5, this evening there was someone very nicely playing the “Play Me” Piano close to the entrance, which is something that hasn’t occured on my previous visits. Does anyone know if BA arrange for someone to play, or was this just a talented passenger taking the opportunity to entertain ?

canucklad
    Participant

Morning fatbear -didn’t you recognize Billy Joel ?

Aren’t they designed to be played by anyone on impulse, so if BA does hire someone it makes the whole concept rather pointless?
    Anyway, think it’s a great idea, good for well being, good for a laugh , great for the individual brave enough to show off their musical skills in public and wonderful for passers by need that uplifting.

Memorably depressed after visiting my Dad, ridden with cancer and now mercifully passed a couple of months ago I ascended up the escalator at Haymarket into a Mozart filled lobby. I was uplifted from my gloom . even more so when I glanced over to see a high viz jacket, filled with a burly young guy, with a visible builders crack , resplendently finished off with what would be, an award winning Hipster beard perched on the stool tinkering away like the great man himself!

Or, the 3 little Indian girls (presumably sisters) who were clunking out some sort of fusion music, a mish mash of Bangra and The Spice Girls to a very receptive crowd of shoppers at Livingston Centre a few days ago. Uplifting on so many levels, especially when you saw the beaming faces of the parents watching their pride and joy be loudly clapped!

As Louis would have sung, “what a wonderful world” !

3 users thanked author for this post.

Nick
    Participant

I’ve seen someone wearing a lanyard playing the CCR piano before, not sure if it was someone BA had arranged externally, or a talented BA staffer!

esselle
    Participant

Back in 1996 I was loosely involved in the planning of new space in MAN T1 as they extended the Landside spaces overlooking the aprons, relocating the Lancaster Brasserie, general food areas, new walkthrough to T3 etc.

There was a huge space right by the windows, where the escalators came up from the lower level. I suggested they place a concert grand piano there for passengers to play.

I was laughed out of court and accused of having lost my links to reality.

Ho hum.

WearyWeagie
    Participant

When I was last in the Concorde room, (about 8 months ago) there was a professional in playing the piano. I cant recall the make, I think it was a Roland and he worked for the manufacturer as this was a marketing event. Anyone could play but he was there playing in between and was talking to me about the price of them etc.

fatbear
    Participant

There woud have been complaints had Mrs Fatbear started playing !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls