Perth or Darwin?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Or go totally mad ( in a nice way) and catch a flight to Port Hedland. This will give you a flavour of Australia, that cities often miss. More Crocodile Dundee than Dame Edna.

If your finances can manage it, I’d actually go further with conshaldow’s suggestion…. Fly to Darwin or Adelaide dependent on dates and travel the Ghan. This way your seeing the Red Heart of Australia. Something I really would personally recommend.

icenspice
    Participant

Is it possible to experience both in Port Hedland canucklad? LOL

Broome also sounds like my kind of place MrMichael.

Thanks all…at the minute Darwin is the winner even though there are many more nonstop flights to Perth on Air Asia which is only 1 hour longer. If not it will be East Timor!!

Edski777
    Participant

If staying in Indonesia consider Lombok, the Gilis and Komodo. If you still want to go to Oz: my choice would be Perth. Not too fond of crocs 🙂

MrMichael
    Participant

@Edski777 – 03/06/2015 14:04 BST. Not too fond of crocs:-

Bet they would love you though Edski777 🙂

PeterCoultas
    Participant

If you are still after aussi, another option is Exmouth: at least as user friendly for a short trip as Cairns and with easier great coral access, but, for the quick look, Darwin or Perth have better flight access…great places like Melbourne are not for a short add-on….

stuck in Indonesia for a few extra days I agree with Edski – the Gillies have (or did have15 years back) much to offer for a short relaxed Island stay and great nearby volcano walks but would think that Komodo dragons would need more time (excellent though).

Frankly loads of brilliant places in Indonesia (Manado/Rantepau in Sulawesi, the Bandas, even Jarva) all deserve more than a few days: BUT Indonesia & Aussi are different beasts and both need (& are worth) serious time

paulkaz
    Participant

Slighly off track but I ve had 3 separete friends with poor recent experiences on the Gilli Islands. Flores is highly recommended.

PerthWA
    Participant

May I please add a voice and assure you I don’t work for Tourism WA who need all the help they can get…

Perth… BEST PLACE IN SPACE – whatever time you visit, it’s “winter” now, 23 outside with clear blue skies and perfect. You won’t have time with 3 days to do Margaret River or any of our other ‘local’ attractions but don’t miss our city! And Freo too (Fremantle) according to the maps it’s on another planet but merely a meander on the excellent train service from the city to history!

Darwin… Well I love Darwin full of crazy crocodiles and stuff but if you are heading there in the wet season… Avoid!

Hope that helps and welcome to Western Australia aka Paradise 😉

icenspice
    Participant

That’s all very well and good PerthWA but do you have sharks down there? And what’s the sea temperature over the winter season?

MrMichael
    Participant

icenspice, wherever you go in Oz something will want to eat you!

icenspice
    Participant

Goes without saying MrMichael 😉

PeterCoultas
    Participant

paulkaz: interesting to know things have changed…also Flores is still great..but not a quickie…icenspice: its not that dangerous off Perth beaches…really!

PerthWA
    Participant

Icenspice as far as I’m aware the water is pretty comfortable during winter and you’ll find people swimming early morning most days. And of course, the surfers are out whenever there is a wave 🙂
    As for the Sharks, I’d be more concerned about those hideous funnel web spiders they have en masse in Sydney!

TravelerNZ
    Participant

Perth is a Must!

paulkaz
    Participant

PerthWA your loyalty to your town is admirable. Yes the water temperature in winter is 18c or so but remember great whites have swum all the way from South Africa for a feed!!
    Our funnel web spiders ( and more lethal red backs) only kill avid gardeners and bush walkers in Sydney’s leafy norh shore so Darwinism at it’s best. Sand, concrete and untantalizing protein poor Hipsters protect us in the Eastern Suburbs.

esselle
    Participant

paulkaz

Your comment about Alan Bond is pretty distasteful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls