Personal Hygiene – keeping it clean onboard

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• justloveflying
    Participant

Instagram’s @passengershaming is truly THE place to see the worst of humanity whe flying.

From bare (and hairy) feet on the top of / side of seats, to long hair / headrest covers hanging over someone’s tv screen on the row behind, some people truly have no self awareness or any care to those around them.

And then you have the dreaded poor hygiene brigade for whom sweating / stinky shoes/feet are no issue at all. And they seem unaware.

Whilst every passenger has a duty to be clean in such a confined space, perhaps the bad Odour people could be given shower free body wipes like those by busybeauty and Airlines should stock these for the few who smell like an onion or worse ?

It should be a condition of carriage that anyone who pongs, either gets clean quick or is shown the door

Make 2024 a year of clean,fresh and respectful travel to fellow passengers please !

FDOS
    Participant

Maybe you’d be better off sticking to private jets?

Mark
    Participant

I confess mY indiscretion on a flight yrs ago.
    Thinking I could discreetly pass a little internal exhaust.
    sadly It was the most pungent type 🥴
    Did feel for my fellow passengers.
    None of us are perfect.

Joys of modern day travel as they say.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I think I’ll make 2024 another year when I avoid Instagram (and Twitter). It should be one of my easier resolutions to stick to!

3 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Just another example of the general naffness that has to be endured now. This country has to be way up there in this respect, but it is to be seen all over the world,
    although I have never experienced it in Japan. If younger people are finding it annoying ( assuming your posters are younger than me) imagine how ghastly it is for us
    oldies! So very may reasons now why I do not relish travel.

cwoodward
    Participant

Although perhaps to some degree ‘off topic’ –

I do not see any in-depth change or much sign of ‘wokeness’ in Asia or believe that the prevailing ‘wokeness’ in Europe is anything other than a passing phenomenon,(fad,style,) although annoying and damaging in varying degrees to which “social media” and the like offers a wider voice.
    Wokeness is already I believe fading and the dangers of ‘social media’ are being realised by an increasing number of us. I have several youngish sons (17 to 35) and young relatives and as far as I can discern all have reduced or ceased there use of social media
    after realising the amount of time it consumes and its dangers.

I was reading the other day that 60% of the vegetarian and vegan restaurants that sprouted over the past 3 years from “wokness’ have already closed in the UK. Likewise the fake ‘non meat’ meat manufacturers with supermarkets religating it seems these lines now to the lower shelves (little demand). This because the sensible mass of folks have realised that what was in these ‘woke driven’ products was much more damaging to the climate (and health) than is meat fish and dairy.

We travel a good deal for both business and travel and I see little sign of any adverse changes in the travel or hotel industries where there have always been a smallish percentage of the poorly behaved. Asia in general is not I believe suffering a ‘woke’ mindset to any discernible degree as in general the work and family ethics are much stronger than in Europe and particularly the UK.

3 users thanked author for this post.

fluffymitten
    Participant

I can sympathise with Mark and their unfortunate emission dilemma. I find much gas builds up on longer flights and I too end up having to discretely release it. You never know until it’s out whether it’ll be odour free and noiseless or the other end of the scale.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I thought we would have learned much from Covid, and how unhygienic the whole process of flying from entry and exit to the airport, right through to your luggage when home.

I had for many years, always travelled with alcogel, small bottle in a pouch clip attached to my belt, bu my side.
    Certainly helps with use after Security, after restroom use, and if you want areas in yr space you use like the table when on board.

On recently being in Sydney, where Covid and RSV outbreaks had reached quite serious levels again, Hospitals had returned to masks and entry and exit hand gels, and more so on entry to and within a Ward or Clinic!
    Public transport was where i noticed it most with people wearing masks and using hand gels!

I really think it should now be common sense es[ecially when flying, to carry some in yr toiletry bag, or on you through the airport to use as you wish.
    Bathrooms on board to me are of the most risk, no matter how often cleaned, with such confined space and touch shared areas, and limited shared Air space!
    I do value the Airlines that are using Technology with Ultra light sterilisations on board to start with, but then we all contaminate the longer we are on!

I would imagine the Low Cost Airlines that are actually not cleaning, as i have watched from a Terminal getting off at the back, on at the front. asking passengers to take their own rubbish are worst?!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls