Perhaps more proof that Skytrax is a ‘pay to play’ business or just inept

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Skytrax: World’s best airports in 2024

Hamad International Airport
    Singapore Changi Airport
    Incheon International Airport
    Haneda Airport
    Narita International Airport
    Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
    Dubai International Airport
    Munich International Airport
    Zurich International Airport
    Istanbul International Airport

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Perhaps it is so, however I’ve used a number of these airports and found them very good.

Hamad International Airport
    Singapore Changi Airport
    Narita International Airport
    Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
    Munich International Airport
    Zurich International Airport

These not so
    Dubai International Airport
    Istanbul International Airport

Obviously, this is very subjective.

cwoodward
    Participant

I also FDOS.
    Would HK International Airport be on your list ?
    HK is often regarded as one of the worlds best (also in the past by Skytrax but perhaps the ‘votes’ were lost this year) by most adhortative list providers.

christ
    Participant

Very surprised HK is not included as it is very efficient (departing and arriving) and very clean and great selection of lounges (well One World at least).

Only downside was when my Bangkok flight flew from a part of an airport i never knew existed – I think it was 25. After a walk towards main gates it then involved going up lots of escalators and a walk and then down multiple escalators in some sort of side terminal. It was very time consuming and i am sure would not be pleasant for the less fit / elderly as you cannot take trolleys etc as far as i could see. However, i am sure lots of big airports have these obscurities and it happening once in over 1oo flights is not much to worry about (I wonder if it is saved for smaller planes as it was a Cathay A321).

I found Narita very good.

I know i will be in the minority here but i like LHR T5 with the direct entrance to the First lounge – always very quick (lounge can be hit and miss except concorde room).

Zurich was very efficient as was Seoul (although awful lounge experience but now there is a One World lounge which i look forward to visiting in the future).

Singapore – again very nice but long walks.

For lounges and general simplicity, speed and experience, HK would probably be my first choice!

Doha – really not a fan of. Every time the gates seem a long bus ride. I did not find the lounges that great compared to Cathay and just generally did not find it a relaxing experience.

FDOS
    Participant

cwoodward

I’ve never used HK, thus not able to have an opinion.

However, if it is that good and absent, that is not a great look for Skytrax.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

It is all a little subjective.
    Skytrax are suggesting this is down to votes from air travellers. (I suspect who use and vote via their website).
    A huge number of pax use DOH and the voters may have used few other airports, hence a possible reason it’s collected so many votes.

It doesn’t, at least to me, seem to be that out of kilter as Changi has long been rated as one of the best in the world. It’s at number 2, which seems fair and pretty consistent.

HK is ranked 11. Hardly a disgrace and perhaps down to less people having used it over the last year as it works to get back to pre-covid levels of pax.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Hong Kong is a great airport, but so are others on the list. In any ranking there will be some subjective contentions, but any research or opinion list generally provides an overview of what to expect.

IMO, airports ranking stay at the bottom for a passenger deciding a transfer airport. Ticket cost, connection time etc. matter most. If I want to go from London to Sydney, I will decide on airlines (ticket cost, hard and soft products, transfer time, etc.) and rarely (maybe CDG) on transfer airport. And we have no choice on our home airport.

Pay to play is an overreacted comment in this case. if someone favourite is not listed. It can be debated of course.

But almost every study in any field including from reputable universities and institutions and even UN now are commented by some as bias. Why only pick poor Skytrax.

This type of reports should be read and to be chuckled depending on one’s perspective.
    I do chuckle when I see some airport, hotel or airline is high on some list where my personal experience with those are not that good.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

It is though I find odd that prior to the pandemic HK almost always rated high in their top 10 of worlds 100 best airports and even at the height of the pandemic ( when is was basically closed) it was still rated in the top 20 !
    Neither is it just HK that is oddly rated and ‘Pay to play’ is neither my original suspicion or one that has not been around for the past ten years or so -there is much comment along these lines on the internet re this organisation and it very suspicious aviation findings.
    BTW in 2024 HK was rated at 11 on their list.

Harbord1
    Participant

No point in applying any sort of logic to Skytrax other than you won’t rise up the charts unless there are financial $$$$$ heading their way in the form of advertising, sponsorship and ‘consultancy’ fees. Ignore.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward perhaps it is due to frequencies and destinations through HKG are still well below pre covid levels, so on that metric alone Doha/Changi etc are superior. I agree HK on efficiency, cleanliness, lounges, all general aspects in my view is much better than Doha. HKG lacks the wow aspects of Changi and Doha, but functionality its the best for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls