Passport/Border Control

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    Participant

Comparing train and aeroplane travel – there are some similar logistical issues where protocol dictates vastly differing solutions.
    One of these issues is passport/border controls. When crossing Europe, immigration officials walk through the train checking passports and “clearing” passengers. However, when flying, the protocol is that immigration clearance usually only occurs at the destination (mindful of London City to New York).

The argument why roving officials on a short-haul flight wouldn’t work is obvious, but on a long-haul flight, why couldn’t a system be introduced for border officials of the arriving country to control immigration and clear passengers on board for either the entire aircraft or on a preselected basis. It just seems a real anomaly that you can travel half way round the world; arrive early, only then to be held up in immigration queues.

If the USA can introduce a system, albeit for one flight, Why cant other countries, who wish to encourage visitors and business, work with airlines to find a solution to speed up the arrival process by using the time an aircraft is in the air in a more efficient and useful manner. I am not for one minute suggesting border and custom’s controls are eliminated.

Correction – I believe that all Candaian flights into USA are pre cleared in Canada along with the LCY-JFK (in Shannon).

TominScotland
    Participant

All Irish flights to the US are also cleared by US Immigration at Dublin or Shannon – a great reason to use Aer Lingus from regional airports in the UK as you arrive as a domestic. In my experience, the Immigration officers in Ireland go “native” to some extent and are far more courteous that at JFK etc.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

The nice US Immigration officers may be of Irish stock!!!

Must try this route in May for my trip to NYC!

Deleted User
    Participant

Thank you DIsgustedofSwieqi.

I was looking at a protocol outside of the terminal building altogether. On a long-haul of over 10 hours, why not make use of the dead time between meals and create a process that enables immigration clearance en-route to destination, whilst still in the air.

I know it seems far fetched, but there again, so did StarTreck’s “communicator” all those years ago.

On a flight from London to Singapore, 11 1/2 hours. Surely in 2011 a protocol can be created to clear passengers whilst they are en route, so arriving into Singapore, it’s one less queue that needs to be joined.

Its just a thought.

NTarrant
    Participant

Charles – I understand what you are saying but I think that the issues would be what happens if you have someone on board that does not either qualify for entry or is “suspect” in their aims. On a train it is possible to muster staff at the next station or arrange for the train to stop. A bit different in the air.

In Europe most of the on train checks are just spot checks because of the EU. I was travelling on a coach once between Belfast and Dublin and the coach was pulled over by the Garda and an ID inspection was undertaken at the border.

Mrs T and I have just returned from a P&O Cruise, where they have an arrangement with most countries that a “cruise card” is all that is needed to leave and return to the ship, even where visa’s are required. Imigration officials board the ship at the port before, even if another country and travel with the ship whilst inspecting and stamping, in the case of our last cruise, 1200 passenger and 550 crew passports.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls