Passport conditions

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi All

My passport expires in June, I am flying to Rio in a couple of weeks and the UK Gov website tells me I need 6 months on my passport to enter Brazil, however, Brazilian Gov says I don’t need 6 months only enough time until I leave Brazil.

Flying KLM does anyone know if they (airline) would stop me on check-in? My only solution now is to take a full day out going to passport office which I can’t honestly be bothered doing.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

I can imagine it is cumbersome and time consuming, but I personally wouldnt take the risk. I would definitely renew my passport. Also dont forget, the airline can refuse you and it would be your own fault so no compensation.

capetonianm
    Participant

Check on the Timatic website which is what KLM use when you check in
    I think KLM have their own version on their website.

SimonS1
    Participant

I believe what the Brazilian Government say is also what is in Timatic. Whether you chance it is another thing.

Sflyer86
    Participant

Why do you need to take a day off and go to the passport office? An online renewal would be with you within 3 weeks maximum.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=989314][/postquote]

The poster said they’re going in a couple of weeks.

capetonianm
    Participant

Timatic does not indicate that passport needs to extend beyond date of trip.

TIMATIC-3 / 04FEB20 / 2034 UTC
    NATIONAL UNITED KINGDOM (GB) /DESTINATION BRAZIL (BR)

VISA DESTINATION BRAZIL (BR)

…… NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ……
    PASSPORT REQUIRED.
    – PASSPORTS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED FOR ENTRY MUST BE
    VALID FOR THE PERIOD OF INTENDED STAY.

Where an extension is required, it is clearly indicated, e.g :

TIMATIC-3 / 04FEB20 / 2036 UTC
    NATIONAL UNITED KINGDOM (GB) /DESTINATION SOUTH AFRICA (ZA)

VISA DESTINATION SOUTH AFRICA (ZA)

…… NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ……
    PASSPORT REQUIRED.
    – PASSPORTS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED FOR ENTRY MUST BE
    VALID FOR A MINIMUM OF 30 DAYS BEYOND THE PERIOD OF INTENDED
    STAY.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Recently renewed mine due to the 6 month rule, did it through a post office, forms checked and sent on a Monday, got my passport Thursday, really impressed

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=989295][/postquote]

AOTG, I live and work in Asia, the only place here to get passport changed is Manila and that’s a complete pain in the hole! So I went on to the website for Passports UK (dont remember what) and I was able to apply upload a picture and pay on line and then specify a time and date and arrive at Petty France in London and within 15 minutes walked out with a new passport, its a fantastic service and unrivalled anywhere with my friends from all over the world!

Now if getting into London is a whole day adventure there is nothing I can say, but seriously they couldn’t make the whole situation easier… Good luck!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I doubt you’ll have any problem, as long as you have a return ticket. My youngest has been travelling to Ireland and South Africa with only 3 months left on his pp. The officers simply told him he should renew his passport as soon as possible.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Thanks all. In answer to the question “why don’t you apply online”, is a simple one. They (gov.uk) state 3 weeks to renew and I will be in Rio in 2 weeks, I therefore have no choice but to physically go to the passport office which is at least 2 hours away from me and will take up an entire day.

I’m happy to go with the Brazilian and KLM policy of having enough time on my passport whilst there and having a return flight booked, I’ll renew online when I get back in March.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards.
    AOTG.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=989447][/postquote]

You can request priority or fast track you’ll pay extra but it will be done, that’s what I did as I only have limited time in the UK…

cwoodward
    Participant

I applied on-line a few months ago from HK for a new British passport paid and sent the existing by courier on the Monday and received the new one on the Friday morning.
    Clearly the present system works unusually well for uncomplicated renewals.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls