PAL becomes first full-service A350 operator to adopt 10-across economy class

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Currently on the Forum pages there is another thread “A350’s tenth anniversary.”

When discussing the seat layout it was thought unlikely that A350 full-service airlines would adopt a 10-across layout in economy class.

So far the denser layout has been seen only a couple of long-haul low-cost airlines.

But today I can reveal that PAL (Philippine Airlines) has become the first carrier to opt for a 10-across (3-4-3) layout in economy class.

Each of PAL’s nine A350-1000s will accommodate 380 passengers. They will be deployed on PAL’s long-haul routes from Manila to Europe and North America.

Airbus’ publicity blurb makes no mention of the seating configuration.

https://aircraft.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2023-06-philippine-airlines-finalises-order-for-nine-a350-1000s

PAL will install 48 business, 24 premium economy and 308 economy seats on its A350-1000s.

When comparing that layout with other carriers one can then realise that economy seating will be 10-across.

See latest copy from Flightglobal.com (Note readers may encounter a paywall but the headline tells you all you need to know)

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/philippine-airlines-to-fit-10-abreast-seating-on-a350-1000s/153828.article

Mark
    Participant

“Potential” flights to europe.

Would be nice yo have them back in the UK.
    Really good service onboard.
    MNL lounge is rubbish though

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

If any airline can get away with 10 across seating it is perhaps PAL.
    Filipinos are rather small in stature. I would suggest perhaps 4- 5 inches shorter than the average in Britain.
    My wife is from the Philippines’ and I seem to be related to at least a couple of million of the population thus have some insight

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Mark – A few rescue flights excepted, PAL hasn’t flown to London since the start of the pandemic in 2020.

Then it leased its LHR slots to BA. I don’t know the current situation.

No indication as to when PAL will resume flights to Europe (LHR only). When PAL did resume flights after the EU ban it used to take the longer southern route (which we reported) as it had not (at that time) been able to secure Russian overflying rights.

From memory flight time, by A340-300 or B777-300ER, was around 14 or 15 hours non-stop.

————————————————————————————-

cwoodward – yes you make a good point and that’s doubtless why PAL has adopted that seating layout.

On the other hand the Philippines needs tourism and there will be overseas visitors (from Europe and N America, for example) who will be choosing PAL on account of its network.

cwoodward
    Participant

Also of course the airline was at one point (some years back) banned from flying to Europe by the EU safety body as I recall also banned from the USA sky’s.

They did briefly return to LHR in 2021 but due to the pandemic stopped after a few flights.
    possibly an indication that they have slots.

The large Philippine carrier Cebu Pacific ( a larger airline than PAL) serves many destinations and Cathay serve the country with eight flight a day via Hong Kong. The country is also well served these days with many international airlines to the point where the airport can no longer cope with the increased traffic.

A second international airport at Clark is being expanded and will be connected by dedicated rail, already in construction to Metro Manila in 2024 (but thats Philippine time).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes, along with Garuda, PAL was banned from EU skies for a number of years.

Unless there’s been a change the US authorities limit PAL to serving only existing destinations. In other words, as far as I know, it cannot add new US destinations.

The EU ban for PAL was lifted after 15 years and it returned to London in 2013.

Flights were operated until sometime in 2020.

During the pandemic services were suspended. However PAL did operate a number of ‘rescue’ flights during the height of the pandemic.

Its LHR slots were leased to British Airways. I don’t know the current situation with those slots.

Below is our piece dated September 2013.

PAL plans to serve Heathrow from November

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls