Overcapacity London Luton to Cairo ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here’s another example of airline ‘thinking.’

A route is not served for many years then two airlines start flights at almost the same time.

This leads to overcapacity, lower fares (good news for customers but not for the airlines concerned) and one carrier later quitting the route.

Last week we saw this with Dublin-Minneapolis (see Online News August 18) and today we see it with Luton-Cairo where Wizz Air and now WZY will be competing – see link below.

The Egyptian authorities, who want to revive their tourism industry, have doubtless provided ‘help’ but judging by the prices being offered in November how can this route be profitable ?

Wizz Air has low fares but when I checked EZY I found that a return midweek fare, travelling out November 14 and return November 21 could be booked for under £150.

Yes I agree that the ancillary fees will inflate the total price but nevertheless …

EasyJet to launch flights from London Luton to Cairo

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Having been in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt last December, the volume of tourists was quite extraordinary, so I assume demand or expectation of such must be driving this. Indeed though a cheap price for a relatively long sector, I wonder how it compares price wise to EZY routes to Hurghada and Sharm? BA of course has persisted with narrow body into Cairo, so less differentiated, perhaps helps Wizz and EZY.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes the EZY fares to Sharm will be higher as it’s an established route and attracts mainly leisure.

Travelling out November 14 and back November 21, for example, would be £238 before adding the extras.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls