Ostend weekend of 22 or 23 Sept

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I need to be in Knokke, near Ostend for a meeting on Saturday or Sunday (this weekend coming). I thought it would be pretty easy to sort out, but Ostend doesnt appear to have anything scheduled from London, Brussels is about 1.5 hours away by car. I thought Eurostar goes to Brugge but it isnt showing for this weekend.

Short of hiring a private charter, has anyone any ideas and whether this could be done as a day trip.

If there are any Pilots out there, based in the London area, would be pleased to see if you would allow me to pay for your fuel.

Any sensible ideas would be appreciated.

occasionalpremium
    Participant

You can take the 0757 Eurostar from St Pancras, arriving at Brussels-Midi at 1105. Then there is a connection direct to Knokke at 1126, arriving 1254. You would then need to leave Knokke at 1706 to arrive back in Brussels at 1834 in order to connect with the 1952 Eurostar back to London, arriving 2103.

All of the above relates to travel on Saturday, and note that your Eurostar ticket to Brussels will be valid to any station in Belgium.

NTarrant
    Participant

Martyn – the other alternative is a Southeastern train to Ramgate and then over on the Ramsgate – Ostend Transeuropa ferry. Then you can hop on the coastal tram to Knokke.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Martyn

You can get a Ferry from Ramsgate to Oostende and then from there it is about a 12 mile drive.

http://www.directferries.co.uk/ramsgate_ostend_ferry.htm

http://www.transeuropaferries.com/

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Alternatively Martyn, ferry to Dunquerke, then rent a car and drive to Knokke. It’s about an hour’s drive with a 2 hour ferry crossing, as opposed to a 4 hour crossing to Oostend.

Fastest way though must be by car, Eurotunnel to Calais and then about an 80 minute drive. Definitely do-able in a day. Roughly, 7am train will have you well on your way by 9am local and around 1015 in Knokke. Dp. about 4pm, 6pm train and back in Blighty same time!

Finally, Eurostar train to Lille, rent car or take taxi. Less than €200 and for a return you should be able to negotiate a good price.

I’ve done this road by car many times, at least as far as Ostend or Brugges.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls