Open Skies in Africa?

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Or is it just pie in the sky?

After the development of the air passenger (and freight) market in Europe with liberalisation of the skies, I think we can safely say it has been beneficial for all concerned.

To liberalise the air markets in Africa is without doubt of urgent need. However, will narrow restrictive nationalistic attitudes block any such liberalising measures – in the majority of cases (countries)? Let us hope that it is not the case. Will such liberalisation only be of benefit to the largest airlines, such as Egyptair, Ethiopian, Royal Air Maroc, Kenya Airlines and SAA? Will non-African airlines be included in such measures?
    What I cannot see is any inclusion of ownership of airlines.Here. I think, nationalistic attitudes will predominate. If that is the case then are only flying rights just the ones to be opened-up?
    “Open Skies? Single African Air Transport Market Gains Momentum”, (28-11-22, Simple Flying)

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/121946-rome-mulls-sale-of-ita-airways-to-lufthansa-and-rail-company

I think the most likely outcome will be a gradual approach to see what happens.

LaWhore
    Participant

African nations are deeply corrupt, open skies will not work well for the elite and is unlikely to be formed. There was already a pan African venture about 10 years ago based on the easyJet model which failed miserably. Ethiopian seems to be the only successful airline on the continent but that’s of course with a single base, ASKY being a minor player. To see change, you need someone influencial to form open skies with Europe, ideally Nigeria.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls