oneworld lounge at Barajas

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Hello folks

I am due to fly out of Madrid Terminal 4S next week. Any comments on the lounge would be much appreciated.

Stretch
    Participant

Alex,

The Velazquez lounge is OK, the best feature being the Wine Bar. The food offering is not great. There’s no wifi, but they do have desktops you can use. There are showers. The seats are comfortable, and there’s a room where you can relax or sleep on the loungers. That’s about it really. Unspectacular lounges for an unspectacular airline.

groth73
    Participant

Hi Alex, they will give you a free wifi access card at the reception of the lounge when you go in. You just have to ask for it.

Jenny013
    Participant

Want some more information about this …

openfly
    Participant

Hi Stretch…beg to differ..

The food is excellent on the buffet at the right hand end. Great selection of hot food, as good as T5 First. If you are on an overnight flight, there is preflight dining in the restaurant near to the buffet and this is also very good.

When IB have the new Business Class seats installed … 4 across…this lounge and the IB product out of Madrid, will be superb.
    Hope Willy gets these seats on BA as well…..from 8 across to 4 across will make the accountants at BA wince…but!!

Thanks everyone

Looks very pleasant to me.

WoburnMan
    Participant

alexpo1 – my experience was great lunch nibbles were spot on too – enjoy

jasonchimes – tapas and a few glasses of Cava. What more could you ask for?!

Drumochter
    Participant

This lounge is the best I have personally experienced. The ‘bodega’ is excellent. Each month the Business Plus Sommelier selects two or three wines to be served in the Business Plus cabin on the long haul flights and these are also available in the lounge along with a very informative little booklet of tasting notes. I always thoroughly enjoy reading the notes and often his choices are real finds from the lesser known wine producing areas of Spain. However, my favourite part is the view – the aprons and runways on the eastern part of the airfield stretching across to the hills near Paracuellos del Jarama – beautiful and very relaxing. I commend combining gazing out of the window with a glass of albarino in one hand to the house!

Salut y disfrutar!

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Personally I find the lounges in Madrid at best average – the one at T4S is certainly superior to the one in the main building, as it caters for transcontinental flights as well as some European.

The catering has certainly improved since Melia took over, but I wouldn’t describe the choices that good – the hot food is usually gloppy and tasteless, and apart from salads and Spanish omelette (which sometimes is surprisingly good, considering this is whole scale catering) there is nothing much worth mentioning. The wine selection can be good, and I must admit that although I have flown through Madrid countless times I have never taken advantage of their preflight dining.

I recently flew my mother to Madrid, starting the journey at Heathrow – although flying business class, thanks to my gold card we visited the BA 1st class lounge at T5 in Heathrow – she enjoyed it enormously, but on connecting flights in Madrid she thought the Iberia lounge was mediocre – I am aware you can’t compare the markets they cater for, but all I am saying is that there are magnificent lounges in the world, which make the ones in Madrid pale into insignificance, such as the ones in T5 at LHR, Qantas in Sydney and Cathay in Hong Kong, to name a few…

Still, I must admit it is better to be at the Iberia lounge than not to have access to it !

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi FlyingDoc ,

With all respect to your personal opinion ,I can never compare the BA T5 Club lounge ( not the one for First Class and Gold members ) to something like CX Wing and Pier lounges at HKG Chek Lap Kok …this would be totally unfair !..in the BA one at LHR the food service is canteen like and you hardly ever find a seat to grab a cup of tea and even harder is trying to enjoy the tarmac view ..

I have been only to the IB lounge in the Schengen terminal main buidling on a flight to Orly and can judge the food service to be indeed good for a short haul flights service and the facilities above average though not spectacular but for the sake of fairness ,the Spanish cuisine is tasty and can only be rivalled by the Italian and French ones which are in a different league .

JonathanM8
    Participant

I passed through the lounge in 4S a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion it is one of the better lounges in continental Europe, certainly comapring favourably to some BA Terraces lounges for facilities, food and drink (AMS and GVA spring to mind). and other ‘oneworld’ lounges (FRA and Orly spring to mind). Very few lounges can compare to the LHR T5 FIrst lounge of course……….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls