Oneworld benefits… except BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

DerekVH
    Participant

In the recent printed edition of BT Graham Smith reports that Oneworld have introduced priority baggage delivery for Sapphire and Emerald members travelling in any class except on flights operated by BA. Is this finally an admission that BA give no priority to the baggage of their premium passengers which is generally my experience when travelling in in F or J (mind you to be fair I have had the same issues on Emirates in F).

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

In my experience, priority tagged luggage is a complete waste of time anyway……at least that’s my experience of not just BA but also
    SAS
    Lufthansa
    Swiss
    AA
    USA.

travelworld2
    Participant

Yes, my experience has tended to be that priority tagging is more likely to get you to the back of the queue rather than the front on pretty much all airlines- expect, bizarrely, recently BA where my last few flights have seen my baggage come out first.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Strange how that works. Mine always seems to be either within the first 20 bags delivered or right at the back. Though when it comes out last it gives me more time to remind myself how lucky I am to be a “priority” passenger with a bright yellow tag on my First class bag!

It’s random!

esselle
    Participant

It is worth noting that the majority of stations BA fly into have their baggage service outsourced to third parties. Thus, it is they who are charged with delivering a set standard, through an SLA, making it even more of a challenge for BA to deliver such a “benefit”.

But if you look at most carriers away from their base stations, this tends to be the same challenge for them too. For example, CX get their CIP bags off quickly at HKG, but this is not the case elsewhere.

K1ngston
    Participant

Good thread, I agree with the OP, I always have a nightmare time with luggage tagged priority with BA but when done with MAS or CX the service has been fantastic.

But it is random, priority tagged baggage on SQ always comes out first as does QR and never had an issue with EK as it so happens just with BA but it tends to be at Heathrow more than elsewhere

SimonS1
    Participant

I have been on dozens of flights with EK in the last 2 years and priority baggage has always come off first, even in outstations like Nairobi, Harare etc.

The fact that OneWorld are doing something for all airlines except BA says all you need to know.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not sure if it’s an airline specific problem, more a particular airport’s staff attitude problem!!

When I arrive on BA / AC or KL at YVR , I’m through the whole process and landslide in tickety boo time!!
    When I land in HK, regardless of whether its CX/AF/TK/KL/EK or whomever I’ve flown in with, I’m usually on the next DB bus, and that’s including a stop at the 7/11

And then we come to LHR, and to a lesser extent EDI….. I’m not going to bore people on this forum again, with my investigative tale into why it takes as long for a suitcase to travel 100 yards as it does to fly the length of the country…….

One word sums it up……Laziness and slothfulness.

inthesandpit
    Participant

I often wonder at the process carriers use with priority bags these days.
    My past experience working for a large carrier with a big golden lion on the tail saw priority bags loaded in seperate containers or in the case of bulk loading they were in the hold doorways.
    For 10 years i was a great fan of QR but never ever did our J of F class priority tagged bags ever come off first. In fact DOH was the worst followed by LHR.
    I have come to the conclusion bag handlers dont really care.
    One flight from KUL to DOH took 90 minutes for the bags to arrive and we were not on the remote park. I think someone offloaded them and just forgot. Again QR ground services were a mess with the agent hot footing it when he saw 20 or more angry passengers approaching.
    Since last year we have migrated back to BA, for many reasons but mainly to do with falling standards at QR.
    EK is not an option for us an even though i am based in DXB. Long story but we fell out big time.

One last thing – has anyone one noticed the frequent dissapearing of luggage tags? I am sure someone is making a collection of them. QR platinum ones seemed to dissapear the most.

Flightlevel
    Participant

It may be possible for some airlines to let high status members get earlier bags however there are many variables in bag delivery, weather, machinery, traffic, loading/unloading sequence & of course human factors, that its best to use the system & trust it works.In a poll in the pub,3friends, all frequent flyers,of 50 years each,and with families, had never lost any luggage,& had 4 bags delayed & delivered later, that’s probably the best for world airlines over150years!

BrotherJim
    Participant

Not sure if it is still the case, but when I was living in the UK and flying BA regularly to Europe I made a complaint about lack of priority tags on bags when flying into London, and was told by BA that they don’t actually offer priority baggage on intra-Europe flights so the outstations were right in not tagging, but some did anyway. Likewise out of Heathrow they were always tagged.

Will look when I get home to see if I still have the email.

Relevance to this thread if a lot of BA flights don’t offer priority to anyone then bit hard to make it a blanket OneWorld rule.

openfly
    Participant

If BA can deliver the crew bags first….every time…why not the Premium bags?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls