One World Seat Selection

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• PerthWA
    Participant

Thanks everyone…

JohnPhelan – have already called QF Platinum and written to Executive Relations who didn’t answer the question of why I can’t pre-select my seat without a problem and got the following standard response: “We appreciate your efforts to bring this matter to our attention. I apologise if I have not been able to resolve this matter to your satisfaction and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you aboard Qantas in the near future” …… the bottom line is regardless of QF Platinum status on a QF operated flight I’m nothing to do with them because I’m on a BA ticket.

Binman, yes I tried using the ghost PNR and it still blocks me out of the seat selection area. Bonkers.

I’m still not in my favourite seat but then I forgot to mention… I am merely a premium economy “number”

All… the baggage issue I’ve already had the misfortune to encounter both AA and BA previously.

BA Stockholm to LHR to connect with QF to Perth… had to pay ‘excess’ because it was a BA plane regardless of fact that the booking was a QF flight number and refused to accept Platinum baggage allowance.

AA Las Vegas to LAX to connect to QF to Perth… again refused point blank to accept status baggage allowance and suggested they would off load me if I didn’t want to pay… nice. Again, QF flight number but the same response … its an AA plane.

Obviously it would be helpful if the airlines actually informed their check in staff of what flight numbers actually mean.

Its slightly cathartic to be able to ‘whinge’ on here but I seriously wonder if anyone at the airlines takes any notice and really cares?

I don’t have the luxury of being able to fly Biz or First as most of you do so earning my Platinum through a horrendous number of (discount) economy flights is a generally miserable experience made even more miserable when the supposed ‘perks’ of loyalty don’t work.

Sorry to sound so depressing …. but thanks for ‘listening’.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

PerthWA: You might not be able to get your favourate seat in PE under this ticketing arrangement but you could call BA or QF to clarify the recently adopted IATA Resolution 302 rule on the the Most Significant Carrier for baggage allowanace as you might be qualify for taking your maximum bagage entitlement.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I know this is a different issue – baggage rather than seat selection – but I found this snippet lurking in the American Airlines baggage rules:

**The 2nd Checked Bag Charge does not apply to the following passengers:
    AAdvantage Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, and AAdvantage Executive Platinum
    oneworld® Alliance Emerald, Sapphire, or Ruby
    Any customer traveling on First or Business Class tickets
    Any customer traveling on full-fare tickets in Economy Class (Y)
    Any customer traveling on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection®
    U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
    U.S. military dependants traveling on orders
    First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
    First, Business, and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
    First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check-in
    Any customer flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold member, or oneworld® Alliance Emerald, Sapphire, or Ruby member regardless or frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    UNQUOTE

So some privileges work across at least one of the oneworld partners!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

American carriers are often more generous with the baggage rules, same with some Asian airlines.

BA and some EU carriers have this stingy mentality on baggage allowance.

The Most Significant Carrier baggage rule partly addressed this heated issue but you are not protected when travelling purely on segment flights.

PerthWA
    Participant

Ian… that’s all very well IF the check in person reads them. When they refuse to because “I know the rules and I’m doing my job” is the response you get….

AA complaints dept did respond that they would be taking the issue up with Las Vegas but that doesn’t help when its 2 months down the track.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I agree entirely, PerthWA. If, like me, you are a little jaded from running into these problems (or even if you are just cautious – or cynical), you can always print out the relevant part of the rules and keep a copy in the folder with your itinerary. I carry with me copies of the lounge access policies (and terminal maps showing where the lounges are, if I am not familiar with the airport), copies of the baggage rules, details of any special privileges applicable to me as a FF, and a copy of an email from US CBP confirming that I am entitled to use crew lanes when entering the U.S. On the (admittedly rare) occasions I have run into problems, I have just been polite and patient, produced the relevant document, and on one or two occasions when faced with extreme obstinacy explained that I bought the ticket on the basis of the information that the airline has published and asked (this is a very good phrase – useful in so many situations) “So how can you help me?” I generally find that if you are polite and stick to your guns, it rapidly becomes easier for the staff member to give you what you want (and are entitled to in any event)

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

PerthWA: Sometimes I would carry a printed copy of the rules and “wave” in front of the person for a refresher sesson and “winking” at them! It worked for me, always!!!!

Potakas
    Participant

Side note, also Finnair gives you extra allowance of 2nd luggage as OW Sapphire/Emerald

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Potakas: Thanks for the information. I looked into AY website and it is clearly stated extra baggage allowance for the OW qualifying members.

I wondered when BA will extend this priveledge to the other OW Elite FF!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls