One World member Alaska Airlines is to merge with Hawaiian Airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

The news appeared on X/twitter just one hour ago today (December 3).

It’s unclear when the newly merged airline will become a One World member.

But their joint network opens up many more possibilities for One World customers.

There are network maps on Hawaiian Airlines’ website which show both flights within the Islands plus services to mainland USA and from Hawaii itself across the Pacific to Asia and Australasia.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

If the FTC doesn’t block it, the current FTC is incredibly unfriendly to any type of merger. If approved, it becomes more likely CX will consider Honolulu as it becomes a OneWorld hub. Interesting for Qantas too, if they funnel more US traffic through HNL.

transtraxman
    Participant

“Alaska Air Group to acquire Hawaiian Airlines for $1.9bn,” 4-12-23. ch-aviation

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/134747-alaska-air-group-to-acquire-hawaiian-airlines-for-19bn

They seem like a natural fit and a very good addition for OneWorld.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

That might happen.

When I flew to Hawaii in 2015, I recall the main airlines flying to the islands then from the west coast were Alaska, Hawaiian and Virgin America. Now they are one.

The big 3 of American/Delta/United also flew there but it was a minor part of their business.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I was somewhat cautious when starting this thread yesterday evening as the news had just broken.

But it’s logical the merged carrier will join One World but this won’t happen overnight.

In the past some readers did suggest BA operate non-stop London-Honolulu and this might now happen in the future.

When I worked in the travel trade many years ago BOAC used to operate a daily Super VC-10 multi-stop flight to Sydney via the Pacific.

So future routing possibilities are immense.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

My dream of flying from Sydney to London via HNL may soon become a reality!

It would make sense for Alaska/Hawaiian to fly to a european OW hub now. Or, BA to fly to the new HNL hub 😉

cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay has never flown to HNL in its own right but back in 2010 it did commence a codeshare arrangement with JAL on flights operating from Tokyo’s Narita and Haneda airports, Osaka and Nagoya. This codeshare arrangement is still operating.

With HNL not being a strong business destination it has never fitted well into the Cathay route format but back in 2018 I understand that it was under serious consideration when the Seattle route was commenced.
    It will indeed be interesting to to see what eventually happens -a direct codeshare HKG – HNL is likely perhaps.

Echo3#5
    Participant

Oh, cool! That sounds like good news for One World customers. I’ll have to check out Hawaiian Airlines’ website and see those network maps. Thanks for the heads up!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hawaiian Airlines is reporting they will (if approved) become OneWorld members though their brand will remain intact / separate from Alaskan.

Combined they’ll become very strong players on the west coast of the US.

Had the pleasure of flying AS for the first time earlier this year from JFK-SAN. Very good on the ground and in the air service.
    Quite odd using T7 now without BA being based there. Very quiet terminal, though good AS lounge with plenty of food, space and apron views. (The old BA lounge next door looks to be a ‘pay for access’ lounge now).

cwoodward
    Participant

Reading the US press it seems that the deal is likely to be approved ( I would believe that there was some degree of certainty prior to the announcement) but seeming it is projected to take at least a year to finalise.

Rferguson2
    Participant

It will be interesting to see whether they do actually maintain the separate brand identity for Hawaiian over time. I recall when Alaska took over Virgin America. They said both airlines would also operate as separate brands however over time they decided to get rid of the Virgin America brand altogether.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

RF2 – entirely agree with your sentiment – I’d be quite surprised if they don’t operate under one brand at some point. The only thing that makes me think they may not for a while is the Islands ‘losing’ their branded airline and possible pushback from this.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Completely agree AO.

I am not sure if it has happened in history, but if they were to merge under one name maybe the buyer should adopt the brand of the smaller airline they are buying.

Putting my armchanir airline CEO hat on….Firstly, Hawaiian is better known in international circuits than Alaskan, especially around Asia and Australia. Secondly, whilst i’d love to visit Alaska one day I would hazard a guess that all things ‘Hawaii’ would have a broader appeal. Finally, maybe its time for Alaska to ditch the brand anyway? They’ve come a long way from having a network which originally was about linking Alaska with the rest of the US and now is headquartered in Seattle.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

RF2, there has been form here, so it could well happen as you outline.
    10 years ago US Airways was the initiator in merging with then in chapter 11 American Airlines.
    The American Airlines name was kept for the merged entity though the old US Airways boss became the CEO of what was then (still is now I think) the largest airline in the world.
    Slight difference is US Airways was the smaller of the two airlines, while Alaskan is the larger, but I agree, the Alaskan name is now a bit of a misnomer.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Yes that is the odd thing about these two airlines merging and a combined brand – both airlines are named after the geographical areas they originate from but these two geographical areas could not be more different if they tried! One a freezing cold polar region and the other a tropical island.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls