On board WIFI

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The updated list of wifi enabled aircraft and airlines looked suprisingly bare and light weight, considering how important cyberspace and remote working has become and is a part of nearly everyones, social and working daily lives.

I accept that not all people require on line facilities whilst travelling, but I feel confident that more people will take advantage of the facility, especially if the prices remain reasonable.

Would be interesting to read if fellow posters use on board wifi and what benefits (social or business) or suprises have resulted.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not for me I’m afraid Martyn. While I’m active with emails, Twitter etc I enjoy the (relative) peace and quiet of the airplane. Everyone knows I can’t be reached so no pressure for replies and I just want to enjoy the flight, food, drink and looking out the window.

I don’t even watch the movies, I just leave the flight map on so I can see where we are and our speed and height.

If it comes, I can already hear the boorish types as they say “don’t bring me the glass, bring me the bottle, I’ve just obtained a multi zillion contract” in a load voice for us all to hear. No thanks!

It’s striking that balance between being available – if you want to be – and not feeling coerced into communicating…I like the peace, quiet and food etc, but then I’ve also experienced the wonders of technology on an LH flight between Frankfurt and New York, pinging files back to the Middle East for checking, and receiving them back in the air – it enabled me to hit the deadline.

That was several years ago, using Connexion by Boeing, and it’s a shame we’ve had a few lost years in the meantime – but all the carriers are now busy catching up. It will be interesting to see how passengers react to all the changes in the next few years.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Here’s the link to the chart:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/files/BT-SEPT-12-Wifi-chart-2.pdf

I’ve only looked at the airlines I fly with and looking at Lufthansa they seem to have adopted the hotel pricing method. 1 hr for € 10.95 and 24 hours for € 19.95

1 hour is probably not enough and 24 hours too much. I don’t know of any 24 hour Lufthansa flights and granted you may change planes in FRA or a day return in Europe but you still won’t hit 24 hrs. Bit of a con if you ask me.

Even if I could be tempted, and I won’t, I still would not go for it based on the pricing policy.

travelworld
    Participant

I’m all for the ability to use wi-fi and, indeed, on some flights would welcome it so as to avoid having to look later at 97 e mails on a Blackberry whilst you stand at the luggage carousel. Definitely no to voice calls, though- almost bound to disturb your fellow passengers. Incidentally, in the BT article Emirates say that thousands of voice calls are made from the seat to ground phones they have provided since 1998. Many airlines have had these for a while, from which you can make a voice call via satellite for something like 10 US dollars a minute. I have never, ever, seen one being used in any class of flight- has anyone else?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have used then all of three times. Very clear line and no echo. I kept each call to exactly 1 minute. I don’t think the cost has increased since 1998. It has always been $10 for the first minute and $5 for each minute thereafter.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hence why you never see anyone using them.

In exec jets the sat phones work out much much cheaper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls