Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• SergeantMajor
    Participant

You can get some extremely good value business class fares from british airways on this route.
    I’ve seen it as low as £1250, but have never managed to get such good fares on Oman Air which is always more expensive. It’s easy to upgrade to F for cash when you check in. About £400 when I last did it.
    There is an Opera House in Muscat which might be worth getting tickets for if there’s anything on; the Intercontinental is very good and proximate to that with lovely gardens to sunbathe in.
    I have stayed at the Al Bustan Palace and cannot recommend it highly enough, but it’s not in the city centre; a super Ritz-Carlton property and I got 10,000 bonus avios for booking my stay as a package:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/collect-avios-holidays/public/en_gb

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Bullfrog, I stayed at the Al Bustan years ago when it was I believe an InterContinental, and remember the fanstastic beach location, or am I mistaken. If it is a Ritz now, it must be even more amazing and luxurious?

handbag
    Participant

Many years since I have stayed at the Al Bustan, but I remember it as being a beautiful hotel, fantastic staff and great beach. Unfortunately not town centre.

SMSports
    Participant

Thanks for the tips all 🙂

I’d love to give Oman air a shot (and hope to some day), but the need for tier points is great, so have opted for BA in J! Flight time back isn’t ideal, but does mean I can have a productive day upon return.

Hotel wise, we’ve opted to head to the Shangri-la for the second half of our stay, still considering options for the first half – want a mixture of time in Muscat itself to take in the sights & activities and then a few days r&r at pool/beach.

The intercontinental does look great….very much on the list.

Thanks for all the hints on things to do whilst there – wondered if anyone could advise if public transport exists, or if its taxis only?

SMSports
    Participant

ps – Swissdiver, I’m a she who needs the points, not a he 🙂

rodders
    Participant

Oman air long haul is excellent,also they have some good deals with Omani hotels, I would recommend the al bustan palace, as others have mentioned its now a ritz Carlton hotel, amazing location, close to the old part of muscat and the mutrah souk. A.so visit the Beit Muzna art gallery and museum. Enjoy, it’s our favourite place in the region!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Oups. Sorry SMSports.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The Al Bustan Palace is nice, but away from everything. This is though the only hotel in the world that kicked me out! Reason? The security services of the Sultan suddenly needed more days in advance to prepare a summit (since the first purpose of the Al Bustan is to host GCC submits)…

Pierre
    Participant

Hi! SMSports
    In Muscat there must be a public transport( never checked) and you will find taxis.
    Taxis are not cheap. The easiest way to move, especially if you intend visiting surroundings, is renting a car.Again, not so cheap, but in excellent condition. Gasoline is cheap. Airconditioning mandatory.
    Do not forget a good sun protection and a cap !

CXDiamond
    Participant

My favourite was the Chedi but as the airport gets busier I must say my preference is moving to the Shangri-La where I’m lucky enough to be a Diamond member anyway so service is more than assured.

Has anyone ever used the Hyatt?

Pierre
    Participant

Hi CXDiamond,
    I stayed at the Hyatt, the rooms and suites are ok ( larger than at the Intercontinental) and the environment is more quiet. I would not say that the service was above the average, kind anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls