O’Leary Will Not Bid a Third Time for Aer Lingus

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ryanair owns nearly 30% of Aer Lingus.

I flew on Aer Lingus about three months ago and was impressed with the low price of a last minute walk up ticket, the comfy leather seat and the ability to earn BA Miles, despite the fact that this airline is no longer a member of oneworld and now reduced to being effectively a Low Cost Carrier.

O’Leary stated last week at the carrier’s AGM that he would not be making a third bid for the former state-owned carrier, but is likely to continue to invest into the airline in future.

He also said Ryanair was 2-4 years away from launching a longhaul airline.

Will be interesting to see whether any of this comes to pass…

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Interesting, VK.

If he launches a long-haul airline, I wonder what new and fiendish charges he could introduce if he has a captive audience for 6 hours upwards. Any suggestions?

Given the comments made elsewhere about the charge for using the head on an executive jet, one wonders at what level he’d set toilet charges on a long-haul flight, given that ‘holding it in’ for 6 hours plus is not really an option. Makes one’s eyes water just thinking about it.

Also interesting that you found Aer Lingus ok. I’ve not used them for a couple of years (but after they became a de facto LCC) and also found them good value for money.

NTarrant
    Participant

I used Aer Lingus towards the back end of last year, I didn’t find them too bad although it did seem that the seat pitch had reduced since I had flown with them a year earlier.

The thought of long haul with Ryanair, well I just would not go if it was the only option.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think others, sadly, will be keen on longhaul a la Ryanair.

Good for them, but not so good for those who appreciate quality.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls