Obnoxious Passengers …

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

I flew Business with AA from St Maarten to Miami this week, seated in 2F.
    Upon boarding, there were a late 30’s couple in 1E & 1F, seats fully reclined & both speaking loudly on their mobiles. They were loud most of the time, reluctant to place seats upright for take off, her phone rang during taxi to which she loudly says ‘it’s my ex husband calling’ & then we were airborne.

During the flight they were kissing frequently & at one point, she moved into seat 1F so that she could be a little more ‘lovey dovey’.

Upon approach to Miami, their seats were fully reclined and one of the mobiles was clearly switched on, receiving messages. Another passenger told them to switch their phone off but they ignored him. Sadly the flight attendant failed to get involved.

At this point I told them that they were vile & selfish passengers. They retorted with a deliberate english accent how they had never been called ‘vile’ before.

What would anyone else have done ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s a difficult one Bullfrog. I had something similar with a Russian couple who sat in business despite having economy tickets. They refused to move and when then FA remonstrated they announced loudly they would be reporting her bad behavior. They were worse than vile, the lady stretching her legs across the aisle and resting them on the armrest opposite and reluctantly moving them when the FA passed.

We said nothing but on leaving I passed my card to the FA and told her to have LX contact me if a complaint was made and I’d support her.

I think it’s brave of you to do what you did and sometimes I wish I had more courage, but it’s down to the FA’s to report this and being in the US the police should have been waiting for them. It’s a shame people choose to be so obnoxious but thankfully they are still in the minority.

On an end note, remember the saying “No good deed goes unpunished”!!!

EnigmaticStar
    Participant

I would have done exactly the same – and have done before.

Recently, I had someone who decided it would be fine for them to put there seat the whole way back during take off and every time the Cabin Crew asked them they put it forward and then as soon as the staff moved on they put it back again. The third time the Cabin Crew came through I decided to speak before the staff did and said that whilst it was obviously comfortable for them, how exactly would they expect me and the person in the window seat to get out should anything happen and the aircraft need to be evacuated and then said if they weren’t sure how to keep the seat upright I’d happily give them a hand shoving it forward there and then.

Nothing was said, the seat moved forward and stayed there the rest of the flight. Works for me!

Senator
    Participant

Bullfrog, whilst I was not on this flight you describe my quick analysis is that we are dealing with the usual; “Don’t you know who I am?”, “I am entitled to……”Rules don’t apply to me because…….”

Assume on the positive side of things, these two fairly mature lovers are indeed extremely happy and completely in love. Very good on them, and best of luck. Nevertheless, they cannot ignore their civil duty or staying within FAA regulations.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your position, I have learned the hard way that scolding doesn’t work. EnigmaticStar approach of the reasonable; “Would you be so kind, because the impact in case of emergency to me and you include….” is a good approach. However, I wasn’t there, so this approach wouldn’t have worked.

Two negative stereotypes strike me I am afraid; not surprised that American Airlines staff didn’t respond. Fits perfectly with my experience. Secondly, it sounds like abrasive Americans to me..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

trying taking a photo with the suggestion that you will be posting on Twitter/Facebook as a trip “highlight”!

Wonder if they were married!!

Bullfrog
    Participant

Martyn,

During the flight, their careless & arrogant behaviour led to the boarding passes from their connecting flight ‘into’ St Maarten falling on the floor in front of me. I have their names. Sadly searching on social media has not revealed obvious profiles. I am sure I could probe further !

jjlasne
    Participant

You should have called the FAA during take-off…

jjlasne
    Participant

I like the term abrasive Americans… I will use it if you don’ t mind.

Bullfrog
    Participant

jjlasne ‘be careful not to generalise’ .. I’ve met my fair share of “abrasive” human specimens of all nationalities. Admittedly some nationalities have a loudness of voice which is pervasive !

HonestCrew
    Participant

I’d have said, “Say hi to your mum for me”….. ducked as he swung one, then chinned him ‘in self defence’.

Case dismissed. Thank you your honour.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Honest crew, seriously if you were working and you saw people acting like those described above what you of done and what would be the fate of the offending passengers?

jjlasne
    Participant

Left behind on a desert island?

HonestCrew
    Participant

Hi Becky.
    One of the toughest parts of the job is being put in a situation where you have to confront passengers on their behaviour. You must approach it very carefully so not to make matters worse. Over the years I have either seen or been involved in many situations where the behaviour of a customer has had to be challenged and the outcome has varied from successful to a full on restraint using cuffs and straps.

In Bullfrog’s case, personally I would have subtly asked to speak to the male customer in private, begin by telling him I am not trying to be some sort of headmaster laying down the law, but I do have a responsibility to ensure a pleasant environment for all.
    Usually this approach works well. If the chat goes unheeded then a second firmer chat must take place, this time explaining possible consequences such as official warnings, cancellation of further travel (particularly if they hold tickets already for said travel) and highlighting the involvement of law enforcement if they have, as in Bullfrog’s case, broken the law which in this case is part of the Air Navigation Order.

No two incidents are ever the same. There are vast differences when it comes to factors such as nationality of the customer, age, status, destination of the flight (ie, whether they know the police will do sod-all when we arrive, so they are not worried about pushing their luck on board) etc.

Handling these situations undoubtedly becomes easier with experience. People skills such as this can’t be taught in training and I feel sorry for young crew who have to face problematic passengers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls