NW pilots fallen asleep or what … !!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

Hess963
    Participant

Hey everyone !!

Just found this one–NW pilots fallen asleep would be the probable explanation–but the pilots denied heavily having fallen asleep, had a heated argument or anything else which cause the lost of radio communication with the tower for an hour and flying pass the destination.

Really weird indeed !! Let see what will come up as an explanation–
    perhaps the pilots have found some Arachnids and want to eat them, so the “hairy brothers” have toxin the pilots for an hour !!

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/NWA_Pilot_Speaks_Oct_24_2009

Airpocket
    Participant

I wonder what’s more ridiculous (and dangerous!): NW piltos “falling asleep” or Air India pilots brawling! It’s Airplane/Airport all over again!!

Hess963
    Participant

I think we should wait the announcement of NW in the coming week–then we’ll know–if NW pilots are to be judged in the same category as the pilots in the AI brawl issue. One point is different–the NW pax do not know that they were in a situation–while the AI pax have no other chance but to see and be confronted with the situation happening in front of their eyes–if they liked it or not !!

Well different cultures, different ways… one is too quite–exactly embarrassing silent in the cockpit–the others too loud–exactly embarrassing *****–how should I say this diplomatically without being stoned by some groups–eh, eh.. ah !! vivid in their wordings and agile in their body language !!

Airpocket
    Participant

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with describing people as “vivid in their wordings” and “agile” etc., Nothing remotely racist or prejudiced.

Inquisitive
    Participant

The most annoying is that Airlines does not make much effort to clarify any near miss incidents unless we see them in National Geographics or Discovery channel years later. For example, the BA incident at Heathrow where both engines were lost is not clarified to public.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It would not be prudent for the airlines themselves to publish their own internal findings for a wide range of reasons, not least that they might be in danger of being biased, or misrepresenting the facts of any accident for their own purposes.

For this reason, Accident Reports in the UK are handled by an independent body, the AAIB. Most countries have similar organisations responsible for investigating aviation safety issues.

The initial interim report from September 2008 on that incident at LHR from the AAIB is available to the public online:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/interim_reports/boeing_777_236er__g_ymmm.cfm

There is a second interim report also available, but the Final Report has not, to my knowledge, yet been released.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !

Just catching up what I have forgotten to update — about the decision over the pilots involved.

So the two pilots are now appealing against the FAA’s decision to revoke their licenses. The two pilots were distracted by their laptop work and therefore miss their destination and were out of reach for around 91 minutes with their company’s dispatcher and airport traffic control.

Now the discussion is open whether the use of laptop, mobile phone in the cockpit during the flight will be prohibited. And make it clear that distracted driving and distracted flying are the same and should therefore be punished seriously as it endangers the pax for being so reckless.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls